Noob question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpac2k

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been gone over time and time again and I tried searching the forum so here goes... I'm ordering the northern brewers deluxe starter kit and it has a choice of glass or plastic carboys..... I can't decide. !! Help please...!! I would like to hear what everybody thinks. I have read the pros and cons but just can't decide. Thanks all...!!!

Read the threads about hospital visits and even death (reportedly) caused by breaking carboys. Warning: There are very graphic images.

Then decide...

I use Better Bottles and will never own a glass carboy. Partially because they are just to heavy.

I have both, I kind of like the plastic better. No matter which one you get do yourself a favor and get a handle for it. Much easier to move around.
like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q635PA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Never use one of these handles to move a filled carboy. It puts way too much stress on the neck of the carboy. It could be disastrous with a glass carboy.
Both have disclaimers about not moving filled vessels.

Get a Brew Hauler. It is a webbing strap harness that lifts from the bottom and is much safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both. Glass will clean, well....clean. Plastic can sometimes keep residual aromas and such, so I have plastic designated for stouts only, apple wine/cider only, and whites only. Both have pros and cons, but do be sure to get the harness and make sure you do not get a clogged airlock. Using vodka instead of water can help.

I'm another Better Bottle user. I've never had a glass carboy, but I bet my clumsy a$$ would break one if I did!

Never use one of these handles to move a filled carboy. It puts way too much stress on the neck of the carboy. It could be disastrous with a glass carboy.
Both have disclaimers about not moving filled vessels.

Get a Brew Hauler. It is a webbing strap harness that lifts from the bottom and is much safer.

To be clear, I do use them to move full carboys but I do support the carboy from the bottom. Never use just the handle.

Another one for plastic. Glass scares me to death. Plus BB are every bit as goog as glass imho.

I use better bottles, received the deluxe kit from NB as a birthday gift back in May. Actually came with two bottles, the person who bought it for me put down for an extra secondary and NB (prob unk to them) sent not one but two extra 6.5 gal better bottles leaving me with not two, not three but four carboys. They are nice and light weight, however if you go with that kit, i highly recommend buying some milk crates (amazon.com for 6 bucks a piece, maybe less locally if u know someone) for moving the filled carboys. problem with better bottles is that they aren't firm like glass and they aren't flat/flush... they have a slight bubble or curve that goes up from the ground towards the opening of the carboy. When you pick up a better bottle, the weight of the wort inside will push the bottom bubble down ever so slightly. If your airlock or blow off hose are already in place, u run the risk of sucking sanitizing solution into the beer because when that bubble dips, it acts as a vacuum the opposite way. Happened on my very first batch and i almost lost my marbles when the all the sanitizer in the airlock shot into the wort after i pitched the yeast. Depending on what u use as a sanitizer, it prob wont affect your beer but if you go to move it after fermentation and anything got inside the airlock, such as fruit flies, u run the risk of infecting the batch.

The only con I see from Better bottles other then that back suck are the cleaning methods. U can't use a carboy brush, but need to buy powders like that PBV stuff northern brewer sells. It works great, just make sure u use hot water and slosh it around a bit and all the krausen will go, but the PBV can get expensive if your brewing alot of beer.

Either way congrats on investing in a new kit, I hope u find it as addicting as I do!

I use glass. I like that I can clean it with a bottle brush and see for sure that it's really clean. I also have one 5 gal better bottle, but when I move it the airlock sucks in and can pull sanitizer into the beer and I don't like that. Be careful when moving glass especially when they're full, and don't put hot water into it when it's cold, or vise versa - there's risk but that's life.

I'm going to get the deluxe kit because it seems to have everything I need and it comes with two carboys with a choice of plastic or glass. I'm also getting the mad brewer upgrade kit as well.

We have had several glass ones and most have broke. We had one slip out of the harness and into a million pieces. We have moved to conicals or do it in corny kegs. I would never buy glass again.

I have a 6.5 glass and a vino bucket. the glass is nice because it cleans up nicely, and it looks cool... But the vino bucket is easy to move around, can be fermented in a minifridge (if you have 21.5" of clearance, the glass ones are taller) and the bucket is easier to clean since it has a large opening.

I'm still a noob too, so I'm sure I'll develop more of a preference after s few more brews.

oakbarn said:
We have had several glass ones and most have broke. We had one slip out of the harness and into a million pieces. We have moved to conicals or do it in corny kegs. I would never buy glass again.

But yeah^ conicals would be nice..... unfortunately, i can't find a beginner kit that comes with a 14.5 gal stainless conical....

The better bottles are safer,but you still have that narrow openning to deal with. I like my BB ale pale & cooper's micro brew FV's,as they have wide opennings that make life easier when cleaning,dry hopping,etc. Built in handle & lighter/safer than glass.

I'd get the kit without the carboy, whether plastic or glass!

I'd buy the kit that comes with the bucket, and the bottling bucket, and then buy another bucket ("ale pail") and lid and airlock.

5 gallon carboys have very limited usefulness, and I rarely use them.

One: I prefer buckets. I just do. Lighter, safer, cheaper, easier to clean, carry, aerate, etc. My glass carboy sits in a corner. I have not tried BB.

Two: I'm partially teasing you here in good fun, but you could not have tried to search for this. This has to be THE most covered topic on the forum. There are TONS of information on here illustrating the strengths and weaknesses of both.

Three: I have never used BB, but I do know that the earlier models were small, 5.5 gallons I think? Does anyone know if they addressed this? I wouldn't even consider them if they were not at least 6 gallon capacity and it seems so, so silly to me that they didn't make them the same size as glass carboys from the gate.

I have only been at it for a couple of months but recently decided on glass. When I clean stainless and glass there is no lingering odour, when I clean any of the plastics to the same degree I can still smell the beer or cheese or whatever was in it last. That tells me it is not as clean.

To address breakage I started to make boxes to hold the bottles and will make similar shorter units to hold the carboys with thick foam on the bottom and rope handles. I brew on a tile floor and it is a question of when, no if. I would make a dolly for the carboys but think it might cause problems on the stairs to the cooler storage area. :D

Unfinished box for 32 bottles:
BeerBoxes.jpg

Hmm... I use glass per the recommendation of the LHBS. They were only $3 more so I went with glass. I also carry full carboys down a flight of stairs, but I have a friend help and wear gloves when I do so. While I understand it's dangerous, I just make sure I have my wits about me when I move it. I'm going to find a better system soon, though. Not for fear of breaking the carboy, but to save my back.

Glass cleans, even with an infection you can oxiclean the junk out of it and it's good to use again.

Nice clean dovetail joints you did there! I was thinking of making a cart the same height as my fermenter stand. I need to make it easier to haul fgermenters,BK's,water,etc from the kitchen to my little brewery corner. A bit less lifting would be nice...

For me it's glass all the way, I couldn't imagine drinking beer out of plastic bottles so I ferment in glass as well. I just use a brew hauler for carrying them. They have 2 handles so you can get someone to help carry if need be as well.

@ j187 I totally searched the forum but like you said there is so much on here it was hard to dig thru it all.

Got the same kit and I would go glass all the way. I have made 15 beers and no issues yet. Just be smart and aware that it is fragile and you will be fine.

Stainless all the way for me! Can not beat a corny keg for <$50, the only disadvantage they have is that they are not clear.

My Advice:
You will be starting with Ales that do not need extended aging so the 6 gallon food safe plastic buckets are your best bet.
If you want to do lagers (requiring temperature control first) or anything that requires extended aging; then you can upgrade to better bottles or glass, I much prefer better bottles.
Once you start kegging buy an extra corny (or two) to ferment in, no modifications are necessary but you will want to use fermcap in all of your brews.
Good luck!

Corny kegs are the best ones. you can even transfer beer with little to no oxygen getting in there.

Nice clean dovetail joints you did there! I was thinking of making a cart the same height as my fermenter stand. I need to make it easier to haul fgermenters,BK's,water,etc from the kitchen to my little brewery corner. A bit less lifting would be nice...

Thanks. I hear you on the lifting. I don't know how much better plastic would fare being dropped counter height full of liquid. It's not research I want to do. I am thinking some kind of ceiling mounted removable pulley system. The mere mention of it has my wife thinking some kind of hanging system or just plain old frying pan applied liberally to back of head. She figures guillotines are too messy.

I have only been at it for a couple of months but recently decided on glass. When I clean stainless and glass there is no lingering odour, when I clean any of the plastics to the same degree I can still smell the beer or cheese or whatever was in it last. That tells me it is not as clean.

To address breakage I started to make boxes to hold the bottles and will make similar shorter units to hold the carboys with thick foam on the bottom and rope handles. I brew on a tile floor and it is a question of when, no if. I would make a dolly for the carboys but think it might cause problems on the stairs to the cooler storage area. :D

Unfinished box for 32 bottles:
BeerBoxes.jpg

Nice dovetailing. Wish I was that handy when it comes to carpentry.

I use a bucket exclusively. I brew solo most of the time so I'd rather have a bucket with a handle that I can put down and pick up rather than trying to manhandle a fragile hunk of glass. But I'm about to start fermenting in kegs, so that's gonna make life that much easier.

Back