Year Old 3711

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to harvest yeast from some Saison DuPont but it didn't take off (not the topic of this thread). Which is fine, I'd like to try 3711 anyway. But my LHBS only carries White Labs. There's a homebrew shop about an hour and a half away that has a pack of 3711 but it's a year old, so he offered it to me for free. Before I drive that far (I'd make a work-trip out of it too), what do you think are the chances that it's still good?

Ask him to smack it for you to see? There's probably not a lot of live yeast left in there, but there should be enough for you to multi-step your way to beer.

If it has been kept refrigerated for most of the time, I would expect it to work fine. You will need to make a starter since there will be less cellss than in a fresh pack.

Yesterday I used one labeled March 2011 which I brought over to China in my luggage last year. It's been refrigerated since then. It was still active once smacked, but didn't get fully inflated. Just needed a starter to build it back up.

Yeah I used a Belgian Strong yeast that was a year old. Made a stepped starter for a Golden Strong and had the most violent fermentation yet.

Yesterday I used one labeled March 2011 which I brought over to China in my luggage last year. It's been refrigerated since then. It was still active once smacked, but didn't get fully inflated. Just needed a starter to build it back up.

:off:

I was in Shanghai last year visiting my expat Mother & Father-in-law. Fun town!

Sorry guys for no reply or update - It's been a crazy week travelling all over the Southeast.

I got the yeast and brought it home yesterday. I smacked it but got no inflation last night. I decided to make a 1L starter anyway and the stuff took off. I'm sure it helps that 3711 is pretty notorious for fermenting out under extreme conditions.

Back