Strong Scotch Ale fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Reaction score
I've got a wee heavy (OG 1.086) just starting to bubble in the next room, using Wyeast 1728. I've been holding it around 19 or 20 degrees - that's around 66-68, yanks - but (being Canadian) I can drop it down to at least 13 (er, sixty) if not lower overnight by opening wide the window, if necessary.

What kind of esters will I get from this yeast? I can deal with plum or raisin or whatnot, but I cannot brook the bubblegum or banana. I'd normally ferment it cool as a default, (I mean, the malts will give this its complexity), and hell but is this yeast rated down to like fifty american degrees, but I've heard rumours of stalled fermentations with this, so I want to be safe.

So what do I do? Hold it steady at 66 and hope for the best? Drop it to 58-60 and maybe risk a stall?

I would target around 60 for fermentation temp with this yeast. You want minimal yeast ester production in a Scottish ale, it is all about the malt, and in the heavy the alcohol.

I haven't used it yet but plan on fermenting at 58-60F. I've used the 1056 for all my SA so far with great success and ferment in the low 60's - again to have a clean fermentation.

GT

Keep it on the warmer side and try to keep the temperature regulated. Repeatedly making big temperature swings could cause problems.

Also that yeast isn't the best for that style as it's estery especially with high gravity fermentations. Something cleaner would have served you better.

Back