Frankenbrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywoodbrew

Reaction score
Okay, here's a fun idea. Let's all collaborate on a recipe. The rule is you can only give one ingredient or line-item on the recipe. Should take about 5-10 posts to make a full recipe.

I'll begin with the base:

8 lbs. American Two-Row Pale

According to my calculations here is how our recipe looks,

8lbs 2 row
2lbs Munich malt
2lbs wheat malt
1lbs peated malt
1lbs bark belgian candy sugar
4oz black patent
5tsp spruce extract

OG 1.072
FG 1.017
SRM 30 dark brown to black
mash eff 75%

IBU 44.8

2 oz armarillo 60 min
2oz argentine cascades flameout

wyeast 1388
abv 7.3%
237 calories per 12oz

So it looks like we got a smoky belgian dark ale.

Anyone gonna add anything else, and whos gonna brew it?

According to my calculations here is how our recipe looks,

8lbs 2 row
2lbs Munich malt
2lbs wheat malt
1lbs peated malt
1lbs bark belgian candy sugar
4oz black patent
5tsp spruce extract

OG 1.072
FG 1.017
SRM 30 dark brown to black
mash eff 75%

IBU 44.8

2 oz armarillo 60 min
2oz argentine cascades flameout

wyeast 1388
abv 7.3%
237 calories per 12oz

So it looks like we got a smoky belgian dark ale.

Anyone gonna add anything else, and whos gonna brew it?

I plan on brewing this as a 2.5 gallon all-grain batch (I'll adjust the ratios down from the posted recipe). This way, I won't have 5 gallons of crap. If it's great I can always brew more so there will be extra note taking during this brew session.

I believe I will omit the spruce extract. I realize the point of this thread but feel that it was starting to go overboard.

I have many brews scheduled so this may not make it into the fermenter until the end of September but sometime in late October or Early November, Dark Smokey Belgian Frankenbrew it will be!

I plan on brewing this as a 2.5 gallon all-grain batch.

Awesome Jenks! You're a better man than I. I would love to taste this, but I just can't bring myself to brew this one. The spruce may give it a nice Christmas taste, but I can see why you would want to leave it out.

Can't wait to hear how it comes out!

I plan on brewing this as a 2.5 gallon all-grain batch (I'll adjust the ratios down from the posted recipe). This way, I won't have 5 gallons of crap. If it's great I can always brew more so there will be extra note taking during this brew session.

I believe I will omit the spruce extract. I realize the point of this thread but feel that it was starting to go overboard.

I have many brews scheduled so this may not make it into the fermenter until the end of September but sometime in late October or Early November, Dark Smokey Belgian Frankenbrew it will be!

The peated malt is what kind of makes me not want to brew this, i think 1pound will make this thing overboard, i might brew this but probably will cut the peated malt down to like 8 oz. Im thinking of pitching this onto a cake of T58 that i have a wit on. Im thinking probably brewing this up next month.

Awesome Jenks! You're a better man than I. I would love to taste this, but I just can't bring myself to brew this one. The spruce may give it a nice Christmas taste, but I can see why you would want to leave it out.

Can't wait to hear how it comes out!

Im thinking a 1 gallon batch of this is in order, that way if it sucks its only a few bottles worth rather than a 5 gallon batch.

Bump, did anyone actually brew this? i talked about doing it and havent really had the time to brew lately. would be interested in results and pics

Bump, did anyone actually brew this? i talked about doing it and havent really had the time to brew lately. would be interested in results and pics

haha, I talked the talk to and then ran into a HUGE brew block when I started making wine. A couple friends and myself bought over 600 lbs of grapes and it took a lot of time, money and space in the house to get them out of the primary fermenters and into secondary carboys. Now that that is complete, I can get back to beefing up the beer pipeline.

I still plan on doing a 2.5 gallon batch of this but don't know when I'll get to it. I will post to this thread when I do though.

Done.

I brewed this yesterday.

2.5 gallon batch

4lbs 2 row
1lbs Munich malt
1lbs wheat malt
0.5lbs peated malt
2oz black patent

0.5 oz armarillo 60 min
0.5 oz cascades 5 min

wyeast 1388

I omitted the Belgian candy sugar and the spruce extract from the original recipe and I toned down the hop weights. The thought process behind this was to not make a beer that had to be choked down. I did want to stay close to the idea that brought this recipe to light but didn't want to butcher it.

The mash smelled odd. I guess it was the peated malt (this was my first time using it). I couldn't put my finger on it. It had a traditional mash aroma but with a little bit of ....... horse stable, if I had to describe it verbally. It tasted ok though. Nothing jumped out as awful or re pungent.

I did have one interesting event that may or may not have an influence on the beer and voids out all the control variables of this experimental brew. I dropped a business card into the carboy....

I was brewing alone and while I was transferring the wort into the 3 gallon carboy using a funnel, I had no one to hold the funnel to allow air to escape as the wort was poured in. If you've ever done this, you'll know that the carboy will periodically burp and spit some wort all over the place. So I imper vised and folded a business card and wedged it in the carboy neck between next to the funnel. This allowed air to escape as the wort was poured in. It worked fine until I forgot about the business card and removed the funnel only to watch as the card plunked into carboy and sank below the foam of star-san and aerated wort. I couldn't believe I just did that! I scanned my brain for what I could think of to get it out. My college best turned up with a pair of chop sticks. I was able to find the card and pick it up but just like a kid in an arcade trying to win a stuff animal in the crane machine, I dropped it once I raised it about an inch. I did this for 15 minutes with the same result time after time. Defeated, I sat there in a mini shock state and decided the only way to beat whatever might be on this business card was to pitch the yeast now and hope my little buddies beat up what ever might be down there. So I pitched at 80/85F; higher that I wanted to but I had to go to work and didn't want to risk coming home to find it fermenting already with some wild stuff or covered in bacteria. That was at about 6 pm Sunday night. By 8 am on Monday morning, fermentation had begun and it smelled like fermenting beer. As luck would have it, the fermentation activity had pushed the card a little higher so I grabbed the chopsticks and gave it another go. This time I had success! Upon examining the card, it hadn't deteriorated, it was still full size just wet with beer. It was still legible. I may as well give a plug to "Flodys 99 Barbershop in Willow Grove Pennsylvania!" thank you for your contribution!

So we are now experimenting with an experiment.... I will post an update at bottling time.

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear how it turns out, I wonder if the peated malt with give it a scotch twang.

I guess we have to add one more ingredient, 1 floyd's 99 business card. I actually have one...I'll have to add it to the box of ingredients!

:mug:

I'm super interested in how this works out. I was drinking scotch one night with my parents in the barn and their horse LOVES scotch so I bought a pound of peated malt and made him some cookies with them. He loved them but I'm not so sure about that malt in beer, especially at such a high amount. Subscribed.

Dymnas said:
I'm super interested in how this works out. I was drinking scotch one night with my parents in the barn and their horse LOVES scotch so I bought a pound of peated malt and made him some cookies with them. He loved them but I'm not so sure about that malt in beer, especially at such a high amount. Subscribed.

How did you discover that a horse loves scotch?

I am not sure I want to know how you discovered that a horse loves scotch.....

Anyway, I bottled this beer tonight. Lets just say there is a reason this combination of ingredients hasn't spontaneously come together by themselves in the 5,000 years that brewing has been around.

The smoked peat dominates. The other ingredients are somewhat plain compared to the smoked peat and it shows. I couldn't detect much hop character but remember that I did reduce the hop quantities on brew day for fear I would create something undrinkable. There was also a lack of yeast characteristics and that may be expected as this beer fermented in the low 60's. The color is cool in that it is a dark amber with good clarity. I think I might be able to detect a little "band-aid" off flavor. I am not sure if it is the smoked peat or not. I will have to wait until it is carbed and cold to check again.

I am not holding on to too much hope for this brew but I am opened to being surprised. We'll see......

This beer......is not terrible. It may even be drinkable. I don't get much from the hops. It has that nice taste that can only be the Belgian yeast. I can smell the smoked peat but don't taste it too much which I believe was the goal. The color is a very dark red/amber. It looks awesome.

I don't know if I would run into the streets screaming "Brew this BEER!" but it's pretty good. I may do this again with the candi sugar and some more hops to try and get a smokey strong Belgian.

EDIT: When I burp....I get some smoked peat.

Back