Can you have "mild" celiac? Or is it IBS? Or something else...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, I've been to the doctor for this before, granted it was probably 1.5-2 years ago, and nothing seemed to get done, nor change since I had been there.

Basically, what this boils down to is that I have what seems like chronic "bloating" or abdominal discomfort when I eat. I will admit I don't eat the healthiest diet. I never eat salad for example. So, my diet is high in meats and carbs... I have started eating a serving of vegetable at most meals though. Peas, corn, carrots, etc. Also, being young and skinny, I eat my fair share of fats as well as it doesn't impact my wasteline (and I'm not disciplined enough to stop even though I realize I'm probably clogging arteries). It should be noted that malnutrition is a sign of celiac. For the record I am 26 years old on Monday and I am 5'6", 125lb normally, up to 130-135lb (fat and wet). Otherwise I feel very healthy, am pretty active, and only drink maybe 7-8 beers a week (keeping it beer related).

Anyway, I went to the doctor a couple years back and tried to explain this bloated feeling. This feeling of being filled up to my neck. Having constant gurgling in my esophogus, etc. Anyway, the doctor ran some tests (I drank milky substance and got X-rayed) and gave me some pills for acid reflux. My stomach appeared fine on X-ray and the pills have done nothing, so I've stopped taking them a year ago.

I should note that this is after eating "lightly" compared to most people. Today for breakfast I had some poptarts and milk. I had a 6" sub and some chips for lunch, with a soda. Now its dinner and I'm eating the other 6" of my sub (or trying). I am still bloated from lunch so eating the sub is slow going and I will be bloated until bedtime. Also, I can go all day without eating much and if I drink 3 beers or so, I get this same bloated feeling. It's good in a way b/c I'll never become an alcoholic, but sucks when you want more than 3 drinks in an evening... Anyway, I can't figure out if its the carbs that are causing me problems, carbonated beverages (soda for lunch), or food all together (with some underlying physical condition).

What I'm wondering is if I you can have a 'mild' case of celiac. Or whether this is a chronic case of IBS due to something else. Or what. I don't get so sick from carbs that I throw up or anything, just the bloated, gurgly feeling for sometimes 8 hours plus. If it's chronic irritable bowel syndrom (IBS) what can cause this? Do I have an esophigal deformation or something? I can't belch, but I have a kind of internal "belch" in my esophogus at all times I have this bloated feeling. My bowel movement is pretty normal (sorry guys trying to throw everything out there I can think of). Or what else could this be?

It's not had a huge impact on my life that I've noticed, so I've been letting it slid. I don't get sick often, I still go out to eat and eat the diet discussed above, the only problems are that I cannot possibly gain weight and I get a bloated feeling when I "overeat", even though I am eating like a "bird" compared to most.

Thoughts? Any doctors here? I know I should go back to the doctor and explain this all again and get more tests, so if that's your only advice offer it up and maybe that's the push it will take... He seems like "eveything's fine" the first time though, so who knows?!

In summary, symptoms = malnutrition (small and can't gain weight and can't eat much), constant bloating, constant acid reflux/gurgling in my esophogus... from either too much carbs or too much carbonated beverages or too much food for my stomach period?

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb and say one thing very clearly:

You should not be asking a forum or the internet for a medical diagnosis. Go to the doctor and if he doesn't make you confident that he's found the problem demand a referral or get a new doctor.

That being said: some people don't eat much and are just fine. I know several folks who 'eat like a bird' and are healthy and normal.

You should not be asking a forum or the internet for a medical diagnosis. Go to the doctor and if he doesn't make you confident that he's found the problem demand a referral or get a new doctor.

That being said: some people don't eat much and are just fine. I know several folks who 'eat like a bird' and are healthy and normal.

As I requested; push me to the doctor! :)

The not eating much isn't the issue though; it's not eating much and feeling like I've eaten a side of cow and its going to burst out my throat. :)

I tend to agree with you, Jason, however, I think that some of these first had accounts *might* encourage others to take a hard look at what's going on in their lives and get things looked at.

Go to the doctor and get that acid in check. You don't want it messing up your esophagus...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66318

Thanks Soulive, good to read about someone with at least a related scenario. I tried doing prescription acid reflux meds (I think it was called renatodine or something - not sure what the brand name) for probably 6 months before and it didn't help at all. Possible I just need a better/different brand or medication though...

It's just really weird the way my esophogus gurgles all the time. Like I said, I cannot belch (aka its IMPOSSIBLE). Never have, not even when sick and throwing up by accident. But if I open my mouth and do a little breathing technique the internal gargle comes out as kind of a groany-type belch thing. It's just plain weird... wonder if my esoph isn't just messed up/disfigured or something. I know I had an uncle who had to get some "flapper" part of his esophogus fixed due to problems with AR.

I tend to agree with you, Jason, however, I think that some of these first had accounts *might* encourage others to take a hard look at what's going on in their lives and get things looked at.

Exactly, that's all I was looking for. I don't expect you guys to accurately diagnose me or fix me once I'm 'diagnosed'. Obviously you can't prescribe me meds or do surgery.

However, if someone has had a common ailment cured and I can take that info with to the doc, it might be helpful. Also, if someone says, "you have a possible stomach tumor", then I'm darn-well heading to the doc within the next week or two...

Could it be an ulcer?

Thanks Soulive, good to read about someone with at least a related scenario. I tried doing prescription acid reflux meds (I think it was called renatodine or something - not sure what the brand name) for probably 6 months before and it didn't help at all. Possible I just need a better/different brand or medication though...

It's just really weird the way my esophogus gurgles all the time. Like I said, I cannot belch (aka its IMPOSSIBLE). Never have, not even when sick and throwing up by accident. But if I open my mouth and do a little breathing technique the internal gargle comes out as kind of a groany-type belch thing. It's just plain weird... wonder if my esoph isn't just messed up/disfigured or something. I know I had an uncle who had to get some "flapper" part of his esophogus fixed due to problems with AR.

Ask your doctor about having an endoscopy done and try some better meds for it. I recommend Nexium or Prevacid for reflux. The Prevacid is very good at controlling acid and the Nexium controls acid while also healing your esophagus. That "flapper" part of the esophagus is the part that is malfunctioning when you experience reflux. You may have something similar...good luck!

DISCLAIMER!!!! I do not wish to deliver a diagnosis or practice medicine in any way/shape/or form. I only wish to throw out my $0.02 for something that you may want to talk about with your M.D.

Ranitidine (or Zantec) is a H2 Histamine antagonist which pretty much means that it prevents histamine release in your stomach and prevents acid formation. The thing about this drug is it isn't an overnight cure, and it takes quite awhile before you start to see/feel a noticeable effect (like a month or more) If you stopped taking it after a week or two when you didn't notice any changes, you may have undone any good you might have been doing.

Personally, I am kinda iffy if this is acid reflux. Have you had any injuries or illnesses? Does anyone in your family have a similar problem? have you been taking any medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements? When you are talking about belching, can you not belch at all, it just feels "internal"? When you feel bloated, does it feel low, like in you guts, or higher, like in your stomach?

I agree with ask for an endoscopy, it may help rule out acid reflux. But if you want to do a quick and dirty not-really-reliable-but-may-work kinda test for acid reflux, just increase your water intake. The extra weight pulls down on your stomach and may help to close your lower esophageal sphincter.

A little fiber in your diet may not hurt as well :D

You can have "slight" celiacs in the form of gluten intolerance. Celiac can range from mild discomfort to OMG, I feel like I'm going to die. The biggest problem to gluten intolerance is that it is in so much of what we eat. It can be hidden in Ketchup, soy sauce, soups, gravies, and pretty much any type of box mixes in the grocery. The ONLY treatment is a gluten free diet.

If you want some reading material on celiacs go to www.celiaccentral.org

Now, get yourself to the doctor and figure out what's going on in there!

Ranitidine (or Zantec) is a H2 Histamine antagonist which pretty much means that it prevents histamine release in your stomach and prevents acid formation. The thing about this drug is it isn't an overnight cure, and it takes quite awhile before you start to see/feel a noticeable effect (like a month or more) If you stopped taking it after a week or two when you didn't notice any changes, you may have undone any good you might have been doing.

Took it for months with little-no effect... Maybe trying something else should be in the works...

deathweed said:
Personally, I am kinda iffy if this is acid reflux. Have you had any injuries or illnesses? Does anyone in your family have a similar problem? have you been taking any medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements?
I'm iffy too. I taste acidic tastes sometimes but mostly just bloated/full. From the bottom of my gut to the top, but moreso on the top near the esoph. No similar problems in the family other than my uncle had the flapper surgery... No meds, vitamins, or suppliments.

deathweed said:
When you are talking about belching, can you not belch at all, it just feels "internal"? When you feel bloated, does it feel low, like in you guts, or higher, like in your stomach?
I can't belch like normal people, to "relieve pressure". Most of my friends get full after drinking beer after beer too, but they burp, put another one down. I can never do that. Just feel bloated... see above for where the discomfort is. It's higher than lower...

deathweed said:
I agree with ask for an endoscopy, it may help rule out acid reflux. But if you want to do a quick and dirty not-really-reliable-but-may-work kinda test for acid reflux, just increase your water intake. The extra weight pulls down on your stomach and may help to close your lower esophageal sphincter.
I've increased water consumption and again, no real help. Maybe EVER so slightly. Today after lunch I only drank water the rest of the day. Probably 5-6 8oz. glasses. Still feeling the bloat/full/gurgle now...

A little fiber in your diet may not hurt as well :D
I guess you are getting at the not eating veggies part. Today, I didn't eat many, but normally I do get a veggie with my meal. I also love beans (they have fiber, right?). As noted, I haven't noticed much issue at the exit-hole side of things. That comes and goes as normal, without much effect on the bloated feeling.

Thanks for the thoughts! Sounds like you may know what you are talking about! :mug:

Thanks to everyone else too. Obviously the answer is doctor, endoscopy... so I will schedule something for when I have some time off in a couple weeks.

So does this happen all the time or only sometimes?

I had some weird stomach issues a while back, it would only happen occasionally. It was kind of like what you describe except it would usually be accompanied by hiccups that would last for hours (12+ sometimes). It would be very painful and make me sick for the rest of the day. I was at the doctor for something else and mentioned to him. This was a doctor that is rather old school in the sense that if you were 'ok' otherwise he would offer some advice and let you see if the problem worked out on its own.

Anyway, it turns out that this only happened when I ate large amounts of bread or (more importantly) eating too fast. The problem is always compounded when drinking something carbonated. Don't know how to explain it and it happens ever now and then, I can usually stop it from getting worse by putting my food down and walking around for 5-10 minutes and sipping some water.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I would share. I would say that going back to the doc would be a good idea too since it has been a while. You may also read up on esophageal dysfunctions, I know some people with this and have some of the same problems.

Good luck.

My girlfriend has celiacs, sounds like you do to... It's life changing, but you need to get a hold of it now before your body shuts down, so to speak... Sorghum beer 4 you from now on! I got some recipes, Sprouts is a great store for Gluten Free foods too... A good commercial beer is Red Bridge, also Bards Tale Golden Dragons okay also.

So does this happen all the time or only sometimes?

I had some weird stomach issues a while back, it would only happen occasionally. It was kind of like what you describe except it would usually be accompanied by hiccups that would last for hours (12+ sometimes). It would be very painful and make me sick for the rest of the day. I was at the doctor for something else and mentioned to him. This was a doctor that is rather old school in the sense that if you were 'ok' otherwise he would offer some advice and let you see if the problem worked out on its own.

Anyway, it turns out that this only happened when I ate large amounts of bread or (more importantly) eating too fast. The problem is always compounded when drinking something carbonated. Don't know how to explain it and it happens ever now and then, I can usually stop it from getting worse by putting my food down and walking around for 5-10 minutes and sipping some water.

Not sure if this helps but I thought I would share. I would say that going back to the doc would be a good idea too since it has been a while. You may also read up on esophageal dysfunctions, I know some people with this and have some of the same problems.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing the experience! I get it often. I haven't tracked it in journal form or anything, but I'd say I get it at least 4 days a week. Again, I haven't tracked whether it's when I eat bread/carbs or drink carbonated beverages, but I eat and drink these things most days, so they could definitely be the cause...

I get hiccups associated with it sometimes too, but not for 12 hours plus; wow, I'd kill myself... I hate having them for 30 min.

I do eat pretty fast for the most part. Maybe I will try slowing it down and drinking water. It's hard to get away from soda and beer for me though... but I have drank only water since lunch (8 hours) and still have the feeling.

My girlfriend has celiacs, sounds like you do to... It's life changing, but you need to get a hold of it now before your body shuts down, so to speak... Sorghum beer 4 you from now on! I got some recipes, Sprouts is a great store for Gluten Free foods too... A good commercial beer is Red Bridge, also Bards Tale Golden Dragons okay also.

Guess we will find out once I get some tests run. I may have some symptoms of celiacs, but I'm not counting on it (and hopefully counting against it!! - i like my barley and breads too much).

If I do have it, it's in pretty mild form b/c I eat/drink a lot of gluten... and its not to the point that it stops me.

Then again I knew a 45 year old guy who never had it during his youth and it just kinda "hit him" one day, very seriously. He lost tons of weight before they found out what it was and fixed the issue.

Thanks for sharing the experience! I get it often. I haven't tracked it in journal form or anything, but I'd say I get it at least 4 days a week. Again, I haven't tracked whether it's when I eat bread/carbs or drink carbonated beverages, but I eat and drink these things most days, so they could definitely be the cause...

I get hiccups associated with it sometimes too, but not for 12 hours plus; wow, I'd kill myself... I hate having them for 30 min.

I do eat pretty fast for the most part. Maybe I will try slowing it down and drinking water. It's hard to get away from soda and beer for me though... but I have drank only water since lunch (8 hours) and still have the feeling.

Yeah the story about the sub is what stuck out at me. That is when I always get it, subs and a soda.

The hiccups SUCK. When they are really bad I am sore the next day, but I have worked out a remedy that usually works.

Keeping a diary of what you eat and when you have the symptoms will go a long way at helping the diagnosis, for you and the doctor.

Yeah the story about the sub is what stuck out at me. That is when I always get it, subs and a soda.

The hiccups SUCK. When they are really bad I am sore the next day, but I have worked out a remedy that usually works.

Keeping a diary of what you eat and when you have the symptoms will go a long way at helping the diagnosis, for you and the doctor.

Got some hiccups while reading this actually... ha-ha.

I think I will start a diary tonight.

FYI:
Other symptons of celiac (that I haven't mentioned yet) that I sometimes experience (from celiac site referenced by someone) are 'canker sores', although I only get these 2-3-4 times a year. And usually due to a cold, chapped lips, or extreme sun.

And I have weak teeth, leading to cavities - loss of enamel, etc. was a symptom. Not sure why...

God I hope I don't have this $hitty disease and it's just poor diet and eating habits on my behalf...

Remember that, while individuals can have different degrees of symptoms for being celiac, it primarily affects (damages) your small intestine (this is the one right after the stomach). It takes about 5 hours for food to get into your small intestine (obviously liquids like beer are faster). So celiacs usually feel symptoms several hours after eating. The types of malnutrition I've seen associated with celiac disease are not really the inability to gain wait, but things that are more subtle, like soft fingernails and anemia. If celiac goes on for too long, some individuals get little pimple-like bumps on their legs (I can't remember the exact medical reasons for that).

There are a number of possibilities of what is causing your symptoms. I would recommend going to a gastroenterologist. That's your best bet at getting properly diagnosed.

PS (I'm not a doctor)

Remember that, while individuals can have different degrees of symptoms for being celiac, it primarily affects (damages) your small intestine (this is the one right after the stomach). It takes about 5 hours for food to get into your small intestine (obviously liquids like beer are faster). So celiacs usually feel symptoms several hours after eating. The types of malnutrition I've seen associated with celiac disease are not really the inability to gain wait, but things that are more subtle, like soft fingernails and anemia. If celiac goes on for too long, some individuals get little pimple-like bumps on their legs (I can't remember the exact medical reasons for that).

There are a number of possibilities of what is causing your symptoms. I would recommend going to a gastroenterologist. That's your best bet at getting properly diagnosed.

PS (I'm not a doctor)

Thanks for the insight! Definitely planning on the doctor/gastro. Started my food and symptom diary just a few mins ago. I'll do that a week or two until I can get some appointments...

No bumps on the leg, no anermia, no softnails. Hoping its not celiac. Some of my symptons could just be the way it is for me (difficulty gaining weight) or due to other things (low enamel/cavities = don't floss as much as I should; cold sores due to weather/stress extremes, etc)...

More thoughts...

Acid reflux can contribute to tooth decay and reduced enamel. And in case you don't already know, cold sores are from a type of Herpes virus. A fair percentage of the population carries this virus. Some people see no symptoms while others get cold sores frequently. These are often triggered by (psychologically) stressful events and attacks on the immune system. I personally don't think normal climatic weather conditions have much of a direct correlation with the immune system. But any stressors on the body (including extreme weather exposure) can affect immune system.

Have you ever read a confederacy of dunces by john kennedy toole, this whole thing brings to mind ignatious and his valve. You should have him tell you about his valve.

More thoughts...

Acid reflux can contribute to tooth decay and reduced enamel. And in case you don't already know, cold sores are from a type of Herpes virus. A fair percentage of the population carries this virus. Some people see no symptoms while others get cold sores frequently. These are often triggered by (psychologically) stressful events and attacks on the immune system. I personally don't think normal climatic weather conditions have much of a direct correlation with the immune system. But any stressors on the body (including extreme weather exposure) can affect immune system.

Yes, I was aware of both of these things... I think the tooth issue could be related to AR, but not necessarily. I brush twice daily, but floss only a couple times per week. So that could be the problem.

As far as the cold sores, I already noted they probably came from stress (a lot of hard work, long hours, deadlines) from my job, or more often extreme weather exposure. First time I snowboard for the year without using lip protection, first long-term exposure to sun during, say, a beach trip, etc.

Thanks for all the thoughts on this tonight, it's really appreciated... getting some rest starting now, but looking forward to anymore thoughts I get on this in the AM.

Bloated feeling subsiding, but lower gut is a little achy now...

I usually eat fast big meals normally.......high in carbs and fat. Between that, and the beer.......I was getting chronic heartburn. I did the eat slowly, 6 small meals a day thing......it worked wonders....I also didn't drink for 2 weeks straight. I found that my heartburn went away and I felt better overall. Lost a few pounds also.

give it a try for a few weeks.....eat slowly until you are full, then stop eating. Try to eat 6 small meals a day. Plenty of water and try not to drink a few weeks. Increase the fruits and veggies also. And drink 2 T of apple cider vinegar a day....I can't drink it straight I have to add it to a cup of water at least.

unfortunately I've been sinking back into old patterns of eating fast big meals again. Heartburn has came back but isn't as bad

i doubt it is ibs or crohns disease because these generally affect the lower end of the system defintly see the gastro doc and tell him/her everything that you feel from this even if it affects your sex life can give them clues about what it is.trust me ive got crohns

As far as the cold sores, I already noted they probably came from stress (a lot of hard work, long hours, deadlines) from my job, or more often extreme weather exposure. First time I snowboard for the year without using lip protection, first long-term exposure to sun during, say, a beach trip, etc.

IANAD but cold sores are most commonly caused by exposure to the herpes simplex virus--- 75% of the US population has been exposed.

i doubt it is ibs or crohns disease because these generally affect the lower end of the system defintly see the gastro doc and tell him/her everything that you feel from this even if it affects your sex life can give them clues about what it is.trust me ive got crohns

That's the plan. Thanks for your input. I have a friend's with crohns and I know it sucks... she's had a couple surgeries now, if I recall.

IANAD but cold sores are most commonly caused by exposure to the herpes simplex virus--- 75% of the US population has been exposed.

Yeah, I'm not sure why these are a symptom of celiac/why they are related;If at all. It said 'canker sores' were a symptom on webMD, so maybe it means the type inside of your mouth, as opposed to cold sores usually on the lip, etc.

I'm aware it comes from the herpes simplex virus and I was probably exposed as a child as I recall my mother and father getting these from time to time.

What I was trying to convey was that they don't come out on all people (even though they have the virus) and that certain stressors cause the virus to manifest itself in the form of the CS - extreme sun, extreme cold/chapping, stress in general, etc. I normally get them after a beach trip, skiing trip, etc. Every now and then I get one without those factors, but then it is usually when I'm facing a deadline and a 60 hour work-week and my immune system is down slightly, etc.

In short, I don't think I get them b/c I am celiac, I think I get them due to the discussion directly above...

On Celiac.com, they have a listing of doctors in each state that have experience with Celiac. If you want, find one of those and go get a celiac sprue blood test. I was diagnosed this spring, and believe me, it is worth it to feel better, plus it got me into homebrewing!! (GF beers of course) Come check out my post on my Sorghum extract brew. .

Latest posts

Back