1st batch woooo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I was at the beer store today and conned myself into making mead!

I bought a 1 gallon fermenter, and all the accouterments.

I mixed the honey (40 OZ) with water and champaign yeast! shook alot!

is that it? I saw on got mead . com that they suggest shaking it alot to keep it airated, is this really needed? Ive also seen people talk about yeast additives, do I need them? why didnt the guy at the store sell me them? confused!

How long is this gonna take? 2 weeks? 2 months? just want a ballpark :)

probably a month or more. doesn't look like you added any yeast nutrient or energizer (which is the one you really need for mead) so this will start off fast and then limp along at the end.

it'll also be very dry. it'll then need to age a while

malkore said:
probably a month or more. doesn't look like you added any yeast nutrient or energizer (which is the one you really need for mead) so this will start off fast and then limp along at the end.

it'll also be very dry. it'll then need to age a while
when is too late to add energizer? and nutrient? I have since ordered some (so I have it next time)

Boil a little water, add the nutrient and energizer, cool it down and add it to the mead. Better late than never, but it should work even if fermentation has started.

yep, even just a half cup of water will be enough for the energizer and nutrient.

some people give scheduled doses of those, say every week. others add it all up front.

Heh heh... well its been a week or so. Did you get to add any energizer or nutrients? Do you have a hydrometer? If som thief a sample and see where you are at. Champagne yeast will get it down REAL low... like under 1.000 (probably closer to 0.996)

now you wait, and wait....actually, if your SG is down to 1.010 or less, you should probably rack, then let it age a few months

ok, got impatient! only question is... if it tastes this good now... what will it be like in a month? (well never no)

Latest posts

Back