TEC wine cellar modified for kegging??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Has anyone broken one of these down before? I have a 12 bottle version that I'm looking to use the cooling aspect of to make a beer cooler/chiller with. My plan is to use either use the guts from the wine cellar, or remove the door and have it connected to the main assembly. If I rip the guts of it out, and it will work, I want to build it into an insulated box, with taps on it, that I can use to dispense more home brew. :D I intend to put this in the basement, where the finished room is right about 52-54F. Even in the summer, I believe that room won't get above about 60-65F. Which means, the TEC aspect of this should be able to maintain a ~40F environment inside the box.

Right now, the unit is at a friends house. Once it's here I'll have to see what's involved in removing the housing on it. Unless someone has already done this and has some tips/tricks. Before you say it, I did search already, doesn't come back with any hits here. :eek: Surprised me that no one has posted about it yet (or the search just didn't see it).

I figure either 1" or 2" rigid insulation should be good to line the box with. I just want enough room for a few kegs at a time. I might even make it tall enough to hold two levels of 3 gallon kegs. I could have ones in the bottom carbonating, while pulling from the top set (or the other way around). I can see putting bigger brews (like my 12.5% wee heavy) in this kind of setup. Especially since I probably won't be drinking it very fast.

I've built several different rigs with Peltiers/TECs. Plan to spend a lot of time troubleshooting your insulation and air circulation. There are countless threads around here describing various builds.

I'm using a TEC from a 12 bottle haier wine cooler for one keg and it couldn't maintain even 60F inside at 70F ambient (see beer engine thread in my signature). Once I added a fan blowing downward onto the keg with a frozen 1-2 liter jug I was able to keep it as low as 50F (with an ambient temp of about 65F) swapping the bottles once a day. I've been contemplating getting a 2nd unit, but haven't made a decision there yet.

Back