Dunkelweizen Ingredient Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
At the time of this post, I am a bit stressed.

Recipes and their lists of ingredients,comments,often leave my head spinning. It may take me a couple weeks before I decide on a recipe. When brew day comes - I'm fearful about hitting my Mashing temps, O.G., temp when pitching yeasts, and being uber sanitary. It almost makes me hate the process... but somehow I still enjoy brewday... anyway just rambling through my current frustration.... DUNKELWEIZEN RECIPE.

I have ingredients that I'm sure will make a decent brew, but I don't know the what ratios to use when making my recipe. :( In other words, I need help.

Here is a list of ingredients I have:
3lb Wheat DME
3lb Light DME
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Caramunich
1lb Caravienne
1lb Choco Malt
1 oz. Saaz
Hefeweizen IV starter

I am looking to brew 3 - 5 gallons.

My experience as a brewer is not extensive. I've brewed A.G., Extract, Partial. I am always learning, I just don't know how to use the right malts to get my desired results.

Thanks for the help... sorry for the frustrated rambling :eek:

In a much better state of mind now!

Decided on a recipe and its currently in the primary.

3.5 Gallons

Malts:
3 lbs Wheat DME
1 lb Light DME

Steeping Grains:
.20 lbs Choc Malt
.40 lbs Vienna
.40 lbs. Caramunich

Hops:
.40 oz. Saaz 60 Min.

Yeast:
Helfeweizen IV

Fermenting at 71 - 72 degrees

Little sample is tasty giving me great banana and clove.

Does anyone else freak out when they are preparing to brew? I never new I'd learn so much.

I don't freak out but I remember those first couple AG brews and I was a bit rattled not understanding everything I was doing and mostly doing things because people said I needed to. It still takes me a while to research and contemplate new recipes but I'd rather put in the work to make the recipe what I want.

Reading your post stressed me out. Maybe you should investigate a different hobby. Painting by Numbers may be worth looking in to.....On the serious side. Once you brew up a few batches, things will ease in. You'll do fine. Keep good notes. Drinking your own hand made beer is way better than ripping the tops off 5 or 9 Buttweipers Clydesdale Urine Lager.

Malts:
3 lbs Wheat DME
1 lb Light DME

Steeping Grains:
.20 lbs Choc Malt
.40 lbs Vienna
.40 lbs. Caramunich

Hops:
.40 oz. Saaz 60 Min.

Yeast:
Helfeweizen IV

Fermenting at 71 - 72 degrees

Little sample is tasty giving me great banana and clove.

Does anyone else freak out when they are preparing to brew? I never new I'd learn so much.

Not to freak you out more than you are, but I'm pretty sure that Vienna needs to be mashed instead of steeped. Probably won't hurt anything but just for future reference.

Back