SS hop filter!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgasdude

Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't think anyone has done this yet. I wanted to make a hop strainer, but I have read a few horror stories of the coupling melting. Well, while at work today my wheels got to turning!! I used a stainless steel sink basket, and cut the lower part out with my dremel. I am using the nut that holds the basket in the sink to help hold the paint strainers on with the 4" hose clamp. I also used a piece of 1/4" all thread to hold it up. I wanted to still be able to use the lid with the strainer so I made it to fit in one of the drain holes on my keggle. Working at a hardware store is a blessing and a curse! The basket was about 7 bucks, 2 for the all thread 2 or 3 for the strainers, and a few cents for a couple nuts. The all thread and the nuts aren't stainless, but it's ok. They will never touch the sweet brew! So for 10 to 20 bucks all day, you can have a stainless steel hop strainer!I can't wait to try this baby out on Friday, and Saturday.:rockin:

96e5f0f1.png

9519393e.png

9af8e5c9.png

sweet!

I have the ol pvc unit currently but I'm getting close to finishing my new electric rig and I don't like the way it's currently constructed.

Looks like I'll be heading to Lowe's tomorrow :D

Great idea!

Yeah, the big nut isn't stainless, but I didn't think it would hurt. I may end up getting rid of it and turning it upside down like EuBrew said.

Typically most people who have built these use 5 gallon pain strainer bags. I made a similar strainer with PVC and thats what I used...

Sweet, I love it when people post clever solutions and creative things they have made that work great!

Thanks for posting!! :cool:

John

Is there some sort of hop strainer setup that will work with an electric brew kettle? One that won't melt if it touches the element?

Ron

I brew 5 gal batches in a 7.5 gal pot so when i first start the full boil the liquid is pretty much right at the top. Do i need to worry about anything touching the liquid like the hose clamps? I am assuming the drain insert which is SS is perfectly fine to touch the liquid, correct?

I use my hop spider in my e-keggle. Just got to shorten the bag so it does not touch the element.

Is there some sort of hop strainer setup that will work with an electric brew kettle? One that won't melt if it touches the element?

Ron

they don't have a problem if they touch the element

I know they're old, but these posts caught my eye regardless.

If you are interested in why it's perfectly fine to use bags with elements, read this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/contact-element-224084/

Cheers! :mug:

Back