Filtering beer question..please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svaillan

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of Pumpkin ale from MWB ready to bottle. I was thinking of filtering since the beer will be for a Halloween party and guests.

But here is my question.
I run the beer from a Cornelius keg through a canister style filter like this one...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/10-inch-filter-housing-unit.html

......from there into the priming bucket where I add the priming sugar. Now my question is what kind of filter should I use so I still retain enough yeast for the ale to carbonate while in the bottle. Is there a certain micron level I should not go below to avoid filtering out the yeast yet clear up the beer enough to make it presentable?

I have filtered beer before but I kegged and force carbonated it. I really need to bottle it this time so some can be given away. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All, Steve

A 5 micron (nominal) filter will leave enough yeast to support bottle conditioning.

Of course, you could always keg, carbonate, and bottle with a beer gun or homemade bottle filler.

thats something i was interested in too. i got a little bit of orange peel chunks in my carboy. gotta filter them out somehow.

for people who put their beer into kegs, do they need to prime the beer before they put it into the keg, or do they skip that step?

@OP: Don't go below five microns if all you're doing is a rough polish. If it were my beer, I'd filter it at 1 micron, force-carbonate it, and fill with a beer gun or something.

@brewd00d: You can do either. Some keg-condition (I often do), most force-carbonate.

Cheers,

Bob

Back