Done fermenting ahead of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheemsAF

Reaction score
Brewed a vanilla cream ale 10 days ago. It sat in the primary for 7 days. It had the most vigorous fermentation that I've ever seen. It blew off a bunch of crap through the blow off tube in the 1st 3 days. I transferred it to the secondary 3 days ago. I was extremely bored and curious today about how this beer was going to taste. So I sanitized my siphon and siphoned off a 1/2 glass. It tasted like flat beer; so then I became more curious and measured its gravity...and low and behold it is 6 points under the expected FG (temp corrected).
Expected FG 1.016
Current gravity: 1.010

So the question becomes: do I bottle, or let it sit?

It looks like there may be a little bit of activity, but I'm talking just a minute amount.
Thoughts?

I still do secondary's, for the most part. I have found myself bottling after letting it sit in primary for about 6 weeks, but that doesn't really answer your question.

I would let it sit (either in primary or secondary) for a couple of weeks yet, just to be sure. I had bottle bombs once and it isn't fun to clean up after them. By the info you provided, I doubt that would be the case, but better to be safe than sorry.

So sounds like I should leave it in the secondary for a little while. I'll bottle it as scheduled then...not for another 10-11 days.

As the Stones said,

"Time Time Time is on my side
Yes it is"

Looks like the fermenting is mostly done. But the secondary is about Rest and Relaxation. The yeasties neat time to go back and eat all the stuff they didn't like the first time. The gunk (I am sure there is a scientific term) needs time to settle. The vanilla needs to meld. Whether you put it in a different container (secondary) or not is up to debate. Giving it a littler more time to mellow out and develop is only sensible. I would let it sit another week or so, then bottle.

Time is on your side.

"Yes it isz"

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to give Palmer's 3rd Ed a try from now on. Unless the beer is a complex one, it'll stay in the primary. I'll have to brew a simple beer that I normally put into a secondary and see if there's a difference by keeping it in primary longer.

Back