sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
i recently started drinkin my 3rd batch, was in bottle 5 days and i run out of other beer to drink so i cracked a litre bottle early and the next 2 days was sick, felt really ill and has diareah.:(
then after it had been bottled 8 days,i drank another litre and was fine the next day, wtf happened:mug:

I do believe that live yeast is not GI friendly. Maybe someone else has some other thoughts or can expound on that?

you just got sick, the beer is not to blame.

blaming the beer would be like eating tuna and finding a gray hair the next day...then blaming the tuna, even though you've eaten tuna 100 times before with no problems

I think mr bell is on to something there. It's not anything bacterial in the the beer, but rather young beer is more volatile in your tummy due to the still active yeast activity. I have heard of this from other people, and experienced it as well - It's a bit like having the flu. Better to wait till the bottle conditioning process winds down.

I do believe that live yeast is not GI friendly. Maybe someone else has some other thoughts or can expound on that?

The problem with that is that even live yeast turns into dead yeast as soon as you swallow it.

If it has anything due to the yeast its due to just the dead yeast and the nutrients they bring along not any replicating yeast in your intestine.

I'd say the yeast gave him the sh!ts ... seen it many times . . .

The problem with that is that even live yeast turns into dead yeast as soon as you swallow it.

If it has anything due to the yeast its due to just the dead yeast and the nutrients they bring along not any replicating yeast in your intestine.

Yes and that "Dead Yeast" and its Nutrients turn on the good bacteria in your colon . . .Brewers yeast is a pretty common way to control flees in animals and is believed to have many effects on the human body good AND bad . . .

A quick google turned this up.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Brewers-Yeast-and-MSM-Clear-Constipation&id=40850

When you first use brewer's yeast, it will create gas in your colon. Brewer's yeast supplements your good bacteria in your colon, increasing its count. This increase in good bacteria activates a battle between the good and bad bacteria creating gas as a by-product. Keep using brewer's yeast until the gas stops. This many take a few weeks but you are doing one of the best things you can do for your health - increasing good bacteria and reducing bad bacteria.

Copied from . . . http://www.diet-and-health.net/Supplements/BrewersYeast.html

Known Hazards: Not to be used in case of yeast allergies.

Sensitive individuals may experience migraine-like headaches. Some individuals with intolerance may experience itching, urticaria, local or general exanthemas, and Quincke's edema. Oral intake of fermentable yeast may cause flatulence.

May cause an increase in blood pressure with simultaneous intake of monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Simultaneous intake of antimycotics can affect the activity of the brewer's yeast.

Actually yeast can indeed live in the gut. Active yeast has a bicarbonate shell that protects it against stomach acids, but on contact with the outgassing of methane in the intestines it oxidizes producing gas. This usually only occurs with drinking green beer or beers that encourage a long and vigorous life for the yeast. Namely wheat beers.

On top of this chemical reaction it can also unbalance the pH level of your intestines which can result in loose stools (the ****s).

The timing is wrong. He had one beer on day 5 and felt bad. 3 days later had more and was fine. That is hardly enough time for all the yeast to die, or even for the beer to change enough to make much of a difference.

Yes, green beer with LOTS of yeast can cause gas in some people, and has been shown to create some loose stools. It just doesn't appear that this is the case this time. You didn't have McDonalds with that beer did you? ;)

I drank one of my young beers last night and had some serious farts this morning. :ban:

You on the other hand probably had some sort of bug.

My ditto is with the yeast. I cannot drink two pints of hefeweizen in one sitting, even after a decade of drinking homebrew.

nope im 100% sure it was the beer, because a) i hardly ever get sick and have the stomach of a cow (not litterally, just really strong) never chuck etc and b) my brother in law had 1 glass of it and complained a bit the next day.
when it was poured on the 5th day there was no head and the beer was not fizzy but on the 8th day it was perfect, prob means nothing but thought i would share

nope im 100% sure it was the beer, because a) i hardly ever get sick and have the stomach of a cow (not litterally, just really strong) never chuck etc and b) my brother in law had 1 glass of it and complained a bit the next day.
when it was poured on the 5th day there was no head and the beer was not fizzy but on the 8th day it was perfect, prob means nothing but thought i would share

well then, if you're sure, you should stop drinking beer

i read the whole article. and I don't believe for one second that 5 day old beer will make you sick, but 8 day old beer is perfectly fine to drink and won't make you sick at all.
my last post was a bit of sarcasm on the fact that you are 100% sure it was the beer, but the general consensus here seems to say, no, its not your beer.

I'm a bit skeptical about the whole good/bad bacteria thing. More than likely you ate something bad and got the ****s because of that, or something else in the beer was what your GI tract didn't like and you had a bad reaction to that.

In fact, it was definitely the yeast. I'll do you a favour and personally take hold of your beer for safekeeping to make sure nobody else gets sick from it.

i recently started drinkin my 3rd batch, was in bottle 5 days and i run out of other beer to drink so i cracked a litre bottle early and the next 2 days was sick, felt really ill and has diareah.:(
then after it had been bottled 8 days,i drank another litre and was fine the next day, wtf happened:mug:

Eatting live yeast = carga mierda.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. The facts are these:

1. You drank a beer and one time you got sick yet another time you didn't.
2. You got very ill while your brother in law "complained a bit."
3. Everyone (yes, everyone) can get a bacterial or viral infection.
4. Everyone (yes, everyone) can have irritable bowels.

#1 proves that the beer itself is not to blame. #2 indicates that the problem is rather specific to you, at least in severity. Then, given #3 and #4, the most likely scenarios are that you were either sick or your bowels are more prone to irritation given the quantity of yeast you ingested. It's impossible now to tell which is which unless you drink another green, yeasty beer.

So go drink another green, yeasty beer! :mug:

Back