Dogfish Head Panagea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
Stopped in the local fine wine shop and checked out their brew selection. $40 and only six bottles later (only one of which was bigger than 16 oz.) I'm trying the Dogfish Head Pangaea. I've never even heard of it, so had to try it out.

The label says, "Pangaea is the name of the super continent. Before the land masses separated we were all just one happy family. Our Pangaea has a hint of ginger and great complexity, celebrating our communal history. Best drunk cool not cold from a snifter or a wine glass." It weighs in at 7%.

Here's from the official website:

Brewed with ingredients from every continet (crystallized ginger from Australia, water from Antarctica, basmati rice from Asia, etc...), this is slightly spicy ale, with a mouthful of rich flavors.

*Pouring into snifter*

LOTS of bubbles. Almost champagne-ish. Smells faintly of apples and citrus. Has a similar spiciness to a Belgian beer. Well balanced with a nice hop finish. Overall a fairly nice beer.

Anyone else try it?

I loved this quote about DogFish Head - this is Ray McNeill, Glibiddy's buddy who came out to our brew session a few weeks back.

During our wide-ranging, several hour conversation, we switched gears frequently to discuss a variety of topics. At one point, McNeill offered his views on the so-called 'extreme beer movement'.

"I think it's a bunch of hokey crap, by and large," he says. "With the exception of Dogfish Head, because I think that Sam (Calagione) really thinks that getting that spoiled grape juice out of the refrigerator and throwing it into a beer is a good idea. He is out there but he is genuine about it. I think that most of the other ones are just trying to make money through marketing hooey. They come up with the bizarre beers in an effort to appeal to a certain member of the public who thinks that a 21-percent (alcohol by volume) beer has got to be great. In fact, most of it sucks. So that's what I feel about the 'let's pour some maple syrup and raisins and some pineapple juice in our beer, we'll add two or three more yeast strains and store it in a Jack Daniel's barrel and then we'll put it in a cutesy little blue bottle and sell it for twenty dollars each and try and get press all around the world with it.' It's just hooey. It's PT Barnum crap. My opinion has always been, 'if you're a really good violinist, you play the violin. If you suck, you get an electric violin, and a fuzz box, and a wah-wah pedal and then no one has to know that you really suck.' For the record, and you can print this if you want, if you believe that Sam adds hops every minute for 90 minutes in his 90 Minute IPA, then I've got some beachfront property in Colorado you might be interested in. That's marketing hooey. I've only met Sam once, and I really like his beers, but that's just ridiculous."

http://www.beerscribe.com/mcneill.html

Agree with it or not, I think it's funny. I like some of DFH's beers (notably the 60, the Indian Brown is kinda good, although with some odd flavors), but I'm still pissed off about the Golden Shower (no pun intended).

Ogre said:
Had it yesterday....Seemed like an overly dry Belgian ale. I didn't really care for it.

I can see that. I looked it up again after I finished it and it seems the yeast is Belgian. I'm actually impressed with myself that I was able to call that one.

It was decent and drinkable, but I don't think I'll ever spend $9.99 on a wine bottle of the stuff again.

I just am not fond of DFH. The chicory stout was just ok, and I hated the IPA's. But that's just me.

That is an excellent read. And he's right.

Ize

I truly believe Sam is genuine. He enjoys good beer, appreciates good beer and promotes the spirit of brewing as fun. I think that he has caused brewers to be able to step back and say "you know what, there are no rules" brew something fun and interesting and see what happens. As a homebrewer, this is why I got into brewing. I want to brew beers that I like, that I can't get anywhere else.

Back