Alternative Grain Beer Ryenbow Bright

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Up North

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 64*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
nope
Additional Fermentation
nope
Tasting Notes
Creamy, Delicious, Rye flavored and malty. Great drinking beer in 10 days
Stats
OG 1.040
FG 1.010
IBU 39
ABV 3.9%
SRM 8

Specifics
Boil Volume 6.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast US-05

33.7% 3.13lbs Maris Otter
38.7% 3.59lbs Rye
10.8% 1.00lb Rolled Oats
10.8% 1.00lb Wheat Malt
5.4% 0.50lb Crystal 60L
.6% 1.0oz Black Patent

1.5oz Willamette (45min)
.8oz Willamette (20min)

Irish Moss
1/2# RICE HULLS!!!

Strike water to 167*, mashed for one hour at 155*, sparged with 167*, It is an absolute must to use the rice hulls. I didn't on the first batch and it came out to be a two hour sparge. Not fun!! :(

This beer is awesome, malty, creamy, rye-y and a light golden color with just enough amber to make it not be golden. I went from kettle to the keg in 8 days and pulled my first pint on day 10. It is fantastic to drink and turned out to be a great session beer, kinda on accident honestly. I aimed for just over 4% abv and came in just under. Not really a big problem though because this beer is spot on Delicious!

This is that perfect BMC drinkers beer that still has a great flavor that is perfect for a homebrewer.

Cheers!

photo-766803.jpg

Slightly dark picture, all I have though so I am going with it for now.

So I have gone through nearly half of this keg and planning on making another batch of it in the very near future as it is so drinkable. I will be adding just a slight bit more rye (5lbs) to the 3# of MO in order to get the OG up a notch.

This beer was enjoyed this week by a couple of friends that only drink BMC, another fellow that only likes Pale Ales, another that drinks wine pretty much and a couple of fellows that chose it over a stout (Boddington drinkers).

Back