Smelly Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
After we finished are last Saison, our primary bucket developed a very pungent alcohol smell. We tried soaking it, but it didn't help at all. Time for a new bucket? I think it was our 5th batch. I'd say just get a new one, but I don't want to keep going through buckets if it's normal. It's just the standard kind that come with most kits.

I think all our plastic gear develops smells after accumulated uses...it's normal, and it's never affected any of my brews..

If you absolutely hate the smell you could try dissolving a box of arm and hammer baking soda in five gallons of water and sealing it in the primary for a few days...

Heck maybe just setting the dry and open box in a sealed primary will do like it does in thr fridge and absorbe the odors...

Is this a trick where you try to get me to smell your "bucket"?

Could be worse....

SMELL.jpg

Interesting. I guess I just assumed with all of the talk of cleanliness and such that the smell was an indicator of something that shouldn't be there... It think reading too brewing books is making me paranoid...

18-24 pound Turkey bags. Used as a bucket liner.

I may never have to clean a bucket again.

Very interesting. I'm assuming you spray them with some form of sanitizing solution before placing them in the bucket and filling with your wort, right? Post some pics too if you get a chance...

Chad

Latest posts

Back