Gelatin in Primary Without Cold Crash - Worth the Effort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
I have an English ESB in the primary. Fermentation is complete (FG has flatlined at target). I used Windsor ale yeast which is a low floc yeast, and I was thinking of using gelatin in the primary to help with dropping the yeast out before I bottle.

However, I don't have refrigerator space to cold crash the entire primary. Will gelatin do anything to accelerate clearing if I have to keep it at room temperature (65-70F)?

abv.gif

Anybody?

I've used gelatin to clear up a batch without cold crashing. I believe it took about 3 days at room temperature and you could see the before and after as it cleared from the top down so you knew what it was doing.

Great, I'll put the gelatin in tonight. I was hoping to bottle on Wednesday so that hopefully will be plenty of time.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. All of the threads that I read about gelatin pushed cold-crashing as mandatory. I was just hoping to knock down most of the yeast before it goes into the bottle. I expect that I'll still have chill haze in the bottles later but I'm OK with that.

Thinking about doing this myself...did you notice any difference doing the gelatin all at room temp?

It does still do a nice job of clearing the beer. However, I would also investigate using a yeast that flocculates well, as I think that will be just as useful at clearing the beer and will also make sediment tighter in the bottles if you do bottle. If you can't avoid poor flocculating yeast, gelatin will help but the sediment still doesn't pack down very well, so it is easy to pick up sediment when you siphon.

I used Nottingham in my last batch and didn't bother with gelatin, but I've been using Irish moss in the boils. Two weeks in the primary and the beer is nice and clear on bottling day and the yeast cake is very compact. Much better than Windsor. I haven't tried US-04 but I might try it someday. Nottingham does the job for basic ales and as I am getting into ciders Nottingham is what I try to keep in my fridge.

I use irish moss and cold crash and that works for just about everything I do minus kolsch, that one is a pain. Is it possible to cold crash in a bucket/bin with a bag of ice if you dont have room in the fridge? Notty is a much better yeast in my opinion and like you said is good for ciders. Windsor leaves a lot to be desired. I know us-04 is not a super popular option on this forum, but it works wonderfully for all the british & irish ales I have done. Chews threw wort fast! Last porter I did, I pitched on a half cake from a brown. It started fermenting in 2hrs and was near FG within 24hrs. I love it.

Nottingham is the honey badger of ale yeasts. I don't think I could handle anything that ferments more aggressively - I have to make sure to have plenty of headspace and a blow-off on everything I brew. It doesn't throw off any weird flavors, settles out nicely when done.

Nottingham is the honey badger of ale yeasts. I don't think I could handle anything that ferments more aggressively - I have to make sure to have plenty of headspace and a blow-off on everything I brew. It doesn't throw off any weird flavors, settles out nicely when done.

I always use a blow off and as of recent went from 3/8 to 3/4" as I was tired of babysitting.

Thunder_Chicken said:

Yes. I recently was using Nottingham, and had a couple batches fermenting in the garage. I went out after work and was thinking "man, it sure is cold in here. I wonder what the beer is sitting at." I dipped the thermometer in.. 48 degrees, and churning away. That'll do, Nottingham.

As far as the OP, yes the gelatin will work. It may take an extra day or two.

I've used Gelatin on my last three batches. I put the beer n the keg and then let sit in the fridge overnight. That lets the chill haze develop. I then add the gelatin directly to the keg and carbonate. Really clears the beer up nice and I think makes for a crisper cleaner taste.

My first attempt was to a half consumed keg. I was disappointed with the amount of chill haze in the beer. 1 teaspoon gelatin dissolved into a cup of water at 150 degrees. Added it to the keg and the next day is significantly clearer. Three days it was crystal clear. I've been hooked since.

The simple question is whether a gelatin does a job without a cold crash and how effective it is?

The colder it is the better and faster it works. Will likely still have an effect on dropping yeast at room temp just not as much. For chill haze I believe that the haze needs to be formed to have the gelatin drop it out so would not be effective for that. don’t remember what book I read that in so I can’t check to make sure I’m not saying something stupid, so take it for what it’s worth.

Back