Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have missed this somewhere in this long, fun thread but how about The Skids! Green Day and U2 covered their song "The Saints Are Coming" for the Katrina benefit. Great, archetypal punk band.

For those of you in L.A. this week, Midge Ure is playing the El Ray on Saturday. Maybe that's more post-punk.

Which reminds me - anyone else on this board going to NAMM?

I might have missed this somewhere in this long, fun thread but how about The Skids! Green Day and U2 covered their song "The Saints Are Coming" for the Katrina benefit. Great, archetypal punk band.

For those of you in L.A. this week, Midge Ure is playing the El Ray on Saturday. Maybe that's more post-punk.

Which reminds me - anyone else on this board going to NAMM?

I've got to work...

Played a couple shows with this guy Pat the Bunny. I've been listening to his newest band lately, Ramshackle Glory. Can't beat his stuff from Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains though.. good ol' crusty acoustic punk rock.

Great thread, nice to see some links to music, too. There are lots of great bands posted already. My one-year old was all smiles and bobbing up and down to the Gorilla Biscuits song--too funny.

But I'll throw a couple you-tube vids into the mix, too.

Here's some footage from a Nomeansno show:

And an actual music video from tiltWheel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoked to see Jim is back with Pennywise. I am buying tickets to see them here in Seattle in late Feb.
on a side note....although 20$ ain't bad for a show these days, it makes me miss when I would go see them and NOFX, Bad Religion, etc. for 5 or 10 at the max.
I remember refusing to go see Social D because their show cost too much. ( I think tix were 25)

My favorite thing back in the day was street punk bands touring with traditional style ska bands. Nothing like skanking with crusties.

My favorite thing back in the day was street punk bands touring with traditional style ska bands. Nothing like skanking with crusties.

i dont think ive ever been to a show like that. ive had some strange line ups for sure. hippy crusty bands playin along with Oi! bands.

or hardcore sxe shows and DRI playin together. haha.

i dont think ive ever been to a show like that. ive had some strange line ups for sure. hippy crusty bands playin along with Oi! bands.

or hardcore sxe shows and DRI playin together. haha.

I've seen ska/reggae and street punk bands play together a few times. But yeah, not all that common. Seen the crusty/oi! combo too. I've been to a couple basement shows that were a handful of adamantly straight edge bands playing with adamantly not straight edge.

Here's a fun one that'd never happen: Vegan Reich plus Murphy's Law

Stoked to see Jim is back with Pennywise. I am buying tickets to see them here in Seattle in late Feb.
on a side note....although 20$ ain't bad for a show these days, it makes me miss when I would go see them and NOFX, Bad Religion, etc. for 5 or 10 at the max.
I remember refusing to go see Social D because their show cost too much. ( I think tix were 25)

Dude, me too. I LOVE Pennywise, but I can't stand Zoli Teglas' vocals. I told myself I'd buy the album they released with Zoli doing vocals, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I love the music by Ignite, but have never gotten into the vocals whatsoever. Randy, Byron and Fletcher without Jim just isn't Pennywise to me and I'm stoked he's rejoining Pennywise. I really dig the stuff by The Black Pacific though.

Back in my skater days, we used to jam Pennywise all the time. Now that im older, I have grown to like much heaver music like metalcore/deathcore. Sometimes, when fermentation starts, I play Suicide Silence for my yeastie beastie buddies, and the wort just bubbles like a pool full of paranas! Its the ultimate Mash Pit! :rockin:

I own the worst records, of all time.
I got 'em stored on a Ikeah shelf of mine.
They make me laugh.
They make me cry.
For owning the Voice of the Voiceless,
I deserve to die.
Wherever you go, I will be there.
Where ever you leave, I will go away.
Though to you, it seems it is implausible.
180 lbs is what I weigh.
Why do i own Fireparty?
The last Dag Nasty Cd?
The 1st Snapcase 7",
or anything by F.Y.P.?
I own S.N.F.U. and ****ing Pennywise.
Oh my god, what is wrong with me?
I got a bad curse that follows me.
It makes me purchase the worst records produced in history.
I've sworn off buying records, after this one I'm done.
I buy 15 bad records to every good one.
(The curse says "Wherever you go...")

~Atom and His Package- 180 pounds

Thought the lyrics would make you chuckle.

So, Ism is in my top ten (american) hardcore(?) bands. It took me a while to come across them since they don't get mentioned as often as the big bands (black flag, minor threat, bad brains and so on).

Also if anyone has any anecdotes about A7 they'd be much appreciated.

I am such an old Punker. I saw the Clash in Detroit for their first American tour in 78 , the lead act was David Johansen. I remember the audience booing the clash because Johansen was a tough act to follow. A few years ago I took my 13 year old daughter to see the New York Dolls in LA (David was just as amazing) and it was indeed a disturbing experience for her, lol. I am still hearing about it.

Kuckoo said:
I used to work for Dr. Strange Records way back in the day. I had access to so much good music and even had the opportunity to hang with the great Peter and the Test Tube Babies.

I'm great friends with the boys from Man Dingo!!! Loved Dr Strange

Oh thank goodness. I was expecting to come to this thread and see some blink 182 references.

I used to do a lot of punk shows when I was younger but I still rock out to some of those bands like Guttermouth, The Dwarves, 88 Fingers Louie, The Nobody's etc. One of my all time favorites are the Swingin' Utters. Have seen them twice when they came through town with NOFX.

Oh thank goodness. I was expecting to come to this thread and see some blink 182 references.

I used to do a lot of punk shows when I was younger but I still rock out to some of those bands like Guttermouth, The Dwarves, 88 Fingers Louie, The Nobody's etc. One of my all time favorites are the Swingin' Utters. Have seen them twice when they came through town with NOFX.

$wingin' Utter$ put on an awesome live show :rockin:

I don't really like any of their new stuff at all, but I like a lot of the old stuff by Strung Out. Me being a drummer I especially like the drum parts. Jordan Burns is one of the best punk drummers ever. However, I was just reminiscing about this song "Open Mic" because I'm reimporting my music into iTunes and came across it.

Man, I didn't know this thread existed. Is anyone else pumped about the two black flag reunions? Greg Ginn out together a lineup and is recording a new record. Keith Morris and Dez (I think Dez is involved) are playing punk rock bowling in Vegas under the name Flag. Hopefully they will do more shows. I'd love to go to PRB, but I am busy Memorial Day Weekend.

WastedCider said:
Man, I didn't know this thread existed. Is anyone else pumped about the two black flag reunions? Greg Ginn out together a lineup and is recording a new record. Keith Morris and Dez (I think Dez is involved) are playing punk rock bowling in Vegas under the name Flag. Hopefully they will do more shows. I'd love to go to PRB, but I am busy Memorial Day Weekend.

Bill, Keith, Chuck and Stephan (from the Descendents) are committed and Dez is thinking about it the last I heard. Yes, should be amazing. I'm sure you've seen this already, but if not...

You need some Less than Jake or NOFX to liven up the brewing process, esspecially the brew by NOFX even though it has nothing to do with brewing.

that's like saying the only American made beer you'll drink is Fat Tire. have fun with that, but you're missing out on a lot. like Fall of the Bastards.
That's a fair point and I was being overly argumentative. As my name implies I drifted from punk to post punk and into 80's goth. I've remained there ever since! You are absolutely correct and I should broaden my US punk horizons. I'm reliably informed I would enjoy Flipper.

That's a fair point and I was being overly argumentative. As my name implies I drifted from punk to post punk and into 80's goth. I've remained there ever since! You are absolutely correct and I should broaden my US punk horizons. I'm reliably informed I would enjoy Flipper.

Flipper was awesome. and D.I.

Back