forgot to aerate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
Oh man. So I brewed my second batch, OG of 1.082. I pitched yeast 3 days ago, and it's fermenting fine, in fact there was airlock activity after 12 hours or so. I just realized I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching! So, I figure its too late to aerate at this point. Should I just keep an eye on it for stuck fermentation?

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. So, aeration is mainly to make sure it gets started properly in the first place, not really going to affect how it progresses days later in the bottom of a beer? (top fermenting yeast)

sweet, i read this and realized that i forgot to do it as well! my beer is fermenting like a son of a b&*%#! though... i had to use a run off tube to drain some of the pressure.

I used a Safale S-04 dry yeast, pitched directly on top.

dry yeast does not need aerated wort to go to work. had it been liquid yeast they would have needed some aeration particularly at that higher gravity.

Back