Flowers of wine??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novalou

Reaction score
I have some particles floating in my fermenting wine. Not sure if its some grape pulp, yeast cells, or flowers of wine. There aren't very many particles, seems to be at the top, being bounced around by the fermentation bubbles.
It is Cawtaba juice that I purchased at a winery. I used Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast. Started on 10/6, current SG is at 0.995.

I did sample it, tastes ok. Any ideas?

image-1685389401.jpg

Not sure what it is but I have an idea. Everybody says to rack under it. Why stick a hose connected to the bottle bucket over fill it with juice or a similar wine to push it out and over the top. Then rack I think you would lose less product this way. Good luck. Mike

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Not sure what it is but I have an idea. Everybody says to rack under it. Why stick a hose connected to the bottle bucket over fill it with juice or a similar wine to push it out and over the top. Then rack I think you would lose less product this way. Good luck. Mike

I did rack from under the floaters.

The chunks I see would seem to be pulp, they will drop. But floating due to gassy, young wine. The circle up top could be yeast.

Had this been treated with SO2 at start?
Has it been dosed with SO2 since?

If it were mine, rack the entire carboy bottom to top, thru a clean/sanitized nylon knee high that has been tucked down neck of receiving carboy. Leave any film behind if possible. This will remove any fruit particles that really should be out of there by now. Give it time to settle and see if the white lacy film pops back up to the top. If it has not been treated with k-meta within the past 30 days go ahead and dose it by putting diluted dose in bottom of receiving carboy. I was going to say rack, filter, and bulk age but you should not filter wine with particles floating around. Keep us posted.

saramc said:
The chunks I see would seem to be pulp, they will drop. But floating due to gassy, young wine. The circle up top could be yeast.

Had this been treated with SO2 at start?
Has it been dosed with SO2 since?

If it were mine, rack the entire carboy bottom to top, thru a clean/sanitized nylon knee high that has been tucked down neck of receiving carboy. Leave any film behind if possible. This will remove any fruit particles that really should be out of there by now. Give it time to settle and see if the white lacy film pops back up to the top. If it has not been treated with k-meta within the past 30 days go ahead and dose it by putting diluted dose in bottom of receiving carboy. I was going to say rack, filter, and bulk age but you should not filter wine with particles floating around. Keep us posted.

Thanks Sara. I suspected the pulp as well. I didn't remember seeing any pulp when I bought the juice, but probably didn't notice it until I saw it floating around.

I did rack under and dosed with k-meta. We will see what happens now!

no that is not flowers of wine, it looks okay but if your gravity is low(under 1.030) you should top it up cuz that is way to much airspace.

Back