Question about Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeemer

Reaction score
I'm brewing my 2nd batch of beer using a Mr Beer kit that I received some time ago. The first batch I made was several years ago and turned out great, but I never got around to making a second batch. Earlier this year for my birthday I had received a couple more Mr Beer malt extracts, and after attending the Maryland Microbrew Festival this weekend it got me juiced to try brewing again. I figure I might ask for some 5 gallon supplies for Christmas, but for now it's Mr Beer.

Anyway, I thought because the time is right and the variety pack of extracts had an Oktoberfest flavor, I'd go with a pumpkin Oktoberfest. I followed all of the directions, and following a recipe I found on the Mr Beer website, I added a can of pumpkin puree with the fermentables as well as some spices. The pumpkin seemed to dissolve well enough in the hot liquid and everything seemed great when I set the 'keg' in the basement last night.

This morning I was curious about it so I took a look before I left for work (about 10 hours since it was mixed w/ yeast) and it appears that all the pumpkin settled out into the bottom. There is about a 1" layer on the bottom.

My questions are then:

1) Is this normal?
2) If not, will my beer not ferment properly?
3) If not, is there anything I can do to fix this at this point?

The recipe I used is as follows:

- 1 can of Mr Beer Oktoberfest HME
- 1 bag of Mr Beer Booster
- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

Thanks!

Sounds totally normal. If you boil pumpkin, you'll end up with a whole lot of trub on the bottom. It shouldn't have any effect on fermentation.

Just bottled a batch that had 4.5 pounds of pumpkin in the boil. there was a huge layer of trub at the bottom of the fermenter. So far it tastes great.

Enjoy!

It's normal. I used about 4.5 pounds of canned pumpkin in a 5 gallon batch. I lost about 1.5 to 1.75 gallons of beer to the trub at the bottom of the primary. I had a hangover so I couldn't bring myself to taste it when going to secondary but it smells awesome. I'll let you know in about a month how it tastes lol.

Thanks for the quick replies! It's comforting to know that this is normal and I won't have to wait a couple weeks to find out that it didn't work out. I'm hoping to bottle and carbonate it in time to at least try one before Halloween. If it tastes great I plan to serve some to family at Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

Back