Chest Freezer Fermenation Chamber Venilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoner

Reaction score
I have a acquired a very large chest freezer to use as a ale fermentation chamber. I understand the lifting in/out aspect of this, but that's not of concern to me. I was just wondering about the ventilation of the co2 from the freezer. Does any type of ventilation need to be installed or should I just not stick my head in the freezer and start breathing. Also would keeping my finished cornys (ales) in here be ok? Thanks all!

That wouldn't hurt you. A few breaths of co2 is not a concern as it is not toxic. What is a concern is if you had your head in there for more than a few moments because you wouldn't be getting oxygen.

That wouldn't hurt you. A few breaths of co2 is not a concern as it is not toxic.

Hurt = permanent brain damage? No.
Hurt = singes the nostrils and stings like banshee? Yes, it hurts you. That is a concern to me.

I definitely learned the hard way (a few times) to open the chest freezer and let it "air out" a bit before sticking my whole upper half in there to wrestle a carboy out.

I have a acquired a very large chest freezer to use as a ale fermentation chamber. I understand the lifting in/out aspect of this, but that's not of concern to me. I was just wondering about the ventilation of the co2 from the freezer. Does any type of ventilation need to be installed or should I just not stick my head in the freezer and start breathing. Also would keeping my finished cornys (ales) in here be ok? Thanks all!

I've been reading about chest freezers and am definitely going to buy one, however I fear I'm not getting something about lifting carboys in and out of it. I'm assuming this is difficult because of the natural design of the chest freezer?

Forgive my derp. :mug:

Awesome input all! I have read about people using computer fans in them as well to circulate the temperature evenly. I'm wondering if that is really neccassary, seems a bit overkill.

Awesome input all! I have read about people using computer fans in them as well to circulate the temperature evenly. I'm wondering if that is really neccassary, seems a bit overkill.

Both air circulation and temperature probe location are important to keeping the fermentation at the proper temperature. Since the yeast generate quite a bit of heat during the initial fermentation it's important to have sufficient air flow to transfer the heat from the wort to the freezer walls and to be controlling the temperature of the wort, not the air in the chamber.

Proper air circulation and probe placement will keep the freezer from cycling too often as well.

My problem is finding an easy way to stop the fan automatically when I open the lid so that I don't exchange ourside air with the colder and drier air in the freezer. Haven't yet solved that.

I was thinking of rigging a computer fan to a 12v power pak, like a modem would use. I'm going to match the volts and amp and splice it together and plug into power outlet.

I think the computer fan thing was for a different chiller build. Using a chest freezer its not needed. Here is my setup. Its very small, only enough to hold one carboy and supplies. I used some bubble wrap and duck taped it to the side of my carboy to hole the control temp probe. Its been locked in at 67-68 since sunday. One of the biggest things i have heard from local brewers is temp control. I skipped all the hassle and went right to it from the get go. I can sit here and type this, look over and see my temp is 67 with out opening the freezer. Best move i made so far. Not to mention the yeast seem to like it !

IMG_0295.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

Good input Bronx! I like it. I have nothing but issues w/ my first three batches of all-grain not fermenting past 1.020. I have now adjusted my water profile, ensured proper calabration of all thermometers, and the only thing left I can think of is getting my temp under control. Plus the conveneince of having all my supplies & fermenters & finished cornys in one area will be great.

Back