Need wiring advice, please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I have to install a turnlock outlet. It is the kind that has 4 plug blades, posts or whatever they are called.

So on the back of the outlet it has 4 terminals, a green one, two brass colored ones and a nickel colored one. The wiring instructions say ground goes on green, the hot wires go on the brass colored ones and the neutral to the nickel colored one.

Problem is the supply wiring only has 3 wires? Black, white, and the bare copper colored ground wire.

The plug I am needing the outlet for has 4 wires in it?

What do I do???

What is the receptacle for? What is the the voltage and amperage of the circuit? There is some writing stamped on the receptacle- how does it read? You are going to have to get the proper twist-lock receptacle, I just need more info to help you get the right one.

yeah it sounds like the receptacle is for 240 and you only have a 120 wire going into it.

Presuming you are looking at a 220V circuit:

A lot of older homes are not 4 wire, the neutrals & grounds are all tied to a common point. Newer homes are 4 wire with the ground and neutral buses separate. On 120V circuits, you have a hot, neutral & ground. On 240V, you have two (120V) hots & a ground, the neutral is absent.

It's not to code, but "technically" you can get 120V by going between ground & one hot leg but I wouldn't advise it especially since you have no ground for a GFCI at that point.

To answer your question, you'd tie ground to ground in the plug/receptacle, and the two hots to the two brass colored screws and leave the "white" screw unused. You'd have a 220V system only. If you intend to use 120V from the same source, you should pull a new wire from the panel neutral to your plug/receptacle according to code.

SP-10-2N11CC 3420410-15 Waterway Spa Pump 2-speed, 115V, 11A 48 frame 5.6" diameter 1.5" CD/CS 1hp Center Discharge Series, Water Way Hot Tub Pump, Viton Seals. Rated 1.0 HP or Uprated, 1.5 HP. Also an ideal Aqua-Flo FMCP pump replacement for Flomaster CP series. Overall length 15-3/4" Waterway 342041015 sp102n11cc SP-10-2N11CC used by many spa builders including Cal Spas

If you go here: http://www.spapumpsandmore.com/Waterway_Pumps_3420410_15_SP_10_2N11CC_FMCP_p/waterway342041015.htm

You can see the wiring diagram and the inside of the pump. I am confused 115v does that mean 240v supply? Also the it has a turnlok plug coming out of it that is connected as you see in the pics. So I take this to mean I need the turnlok outlet for that to plug into AND do I need to wire a switch as per the diagram on the the pump (as seen in the pics?) It's a two speed pump (though if it saved me $$$ I would hook it up as a 1 speed pump (if possible?)

Thanks for any help.

no, 115v means 115V (120v or 110v will work).
It is a 2 speed pump, that is why you have the funny plug.
You don't need the turnlock plug; you can just wire it to one speed.

Ground (1) goes to Green
Common (2) goes to White
High (3) goes to Black (for high speed)
Low (4) goes to Black (for low speed)
*Just don't wire both 4&5 to black; it is not designed to have both coils energized at the same time*

To have access to both speeds you will need a 3 position switch (SP3T).
Common to HOT(BLACK), 1 to HI, 2 to LO, 3 NC (off).
(do not confuse this with a 3-way switch, they are actually SP2T and will not have an off position)

Akthor,

If you are this uncomfortable with electrical work, I would strongly suggest getting someone local to help you out, even if you have to hire a pro. While there is some good info in these replies, it is all based on guesses. None of us is sure if you are working with a 110v circuit or an old school 220v circuit, if the aperage of the circuit and/or guage of the wire is adequate for your appliance, etc. These are things that really have to be looked at in person by someone comfortable with electcial work. You could wire this up in such a way that it will work and still not be safe.

This isn't a dig against you, electical work isn't everyone's cup of tea. The point is that even a pro electrician could give you bad advice if some crucial info has been left out. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers!

Adam

I hate electrical work cuz I am terrified of getting zapped lol. But I also can't afford a professional electrician.

So if I am understanding i can remove the turnlok plug and just wire a reg plug in and just plug it into a regular outlet for one speed?

Back