Passion Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwinnie

Reaction score
So I was thinking of ideas for a unique brew for the spring time and thought about, maybe an orange/passion fruit wheat beer (something my girlfriend would love.) Has anyone here attempted to put passion fruit in their beers? How'd it turn out?

I'm brewing a summer ale now and to get the passion fruit flavor I used galaxy hops(14%)
Around 20g at 15min
10g at 5min
20g at flameout
And planning a dry hop of 20g for a week after 14days in the fermenter.
To have more fruity taste and flavor I use Wyeast 2565 kolsch...

Yeah I got the idea while visiting my dad in Hawaii. The stuff is everywhere. The raw fruit has a really intense flavor. Passion fruit in beer seems difficult to pull off, but I think I'm going to try it. Just not sure how yet.

Kona Brewing (perhaps, not surprisingly) makes a passion fruit wheat beer. The name starts with an A and is very Hawaiian sounding but I can't recall it offhand. It's too sweet for my liking but the passion fruit is really present, maybe too present. The idea seems sound, though. I scraped the seeds and insides of some way ripe passion fruit and stuck it in the freezer with the same idea in mind...although mine might go into EdWort's Apfelwein recipe instead. Keep us posted!

Back