Does Iodophor Foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Does Iodophor foam when you add water to it? I fairly new to brewing but the same thing happens everytime I fill up my sanitizing pail. I add Iodophor and it starts to foam alot and when the foam disappears and there's a soap like substance floating at the top.

I'm not sure if this is left over soap stuck on an item in a pail. I do rinse everything well after I wash it. This is the second time I've used my pail and the same thing happens.

After 5 or 10 minutes int he sanitizing pail most of the substance floating goes away, some gets stuck around the items which are protruding from the water.

Is this an attribute of Iodophor?

ImNewToBrew said:
Does Iodophor foam when you add water to it? I fairly new to brewing but the same thing happens everytime I fill up my sanitizing pail. I add Iodophor and it starts to foam alot and when the foam disappears and there's a soap like substance floating at the top.

I'm not sure if this is left over soap stuck on an item in a pail. I do rinse everything well after I wash it. This is the second time I've used my pail and the same thing happens.

After 5 or 10 minutes int he sanitizing pail most of the substance floating goes away, some gets stuck around the items which are protruding from the water.

Is this an attribute of Iodophor?

I've not experienced iodophor foaming. Sounds like it's reacting with a residue. I do know the label says not to use hot water to mix. I always measure out the water, cool or lukewarm, then add the iodophor at the recommended rate, then stir to mix. Never experienced any foaming.

Is it Iodophor by BTF or another brand? The brand from BTF does have an anti foaming agent (or it did when I used to buy it) but the iodophor diary sanitizer I bought at Tractor Supply Co. does not and it foams up when you add it to the container first and add water after. It's not as much as starsan but it does foam. If you add it to water though it won't foam up. But foam is a good thing because it will get into the cracks and gaps, so just like with starsan don't fear it.

I had a brainless moment when I filled my carboy up with hot water. The BTF foamed up quite a bit. Of course the instructions say to use cool or lukewarm water.

I just did some more digging, unless the contain an antifoaming agent like BTF does, iodphors are supposed to foam...

Brew city solutions sells ACE-O-DINE LOW FOAMING IODOPHOR SANITIZER.

The handbook of detergents says "Foaming iodophors are good for hand cleaning and nonrinse application for surfaces in contact with food where foaming is desirable..."

We're just so used to the no foaming of the brand we typically get in Homebrewshops, that we don't realize that they're supposed to. It's not too different from starsan a lot of new brewers freak when they see the foam, so much that 5-star does have a no foaming version of starsan as well.

More than likely your brand is not btf.

I had a brainless moment when I filled my carboy up with hot water. The BTF foamed up quite a bit. Of course the instructions say to use cool or lukewarm water.

I just did a quick test. I used 4cc of BTF in 600ml of water at 130° used a kitchen whisk to agitate and no foam. I heated the water to 170° and whisked again.... no foam.. Test strips showed over 50ppm Iodopher (BTF) I don't think heat is an answer to foam issue.

I just did a quick test. I used 4cc of BTF in 600ml of water at 130° used a kitchen whisk to agitate and no foam. I heated the water to 170° and whisked again.... no foam.. Test strips showed over 50ppm Iodopher (BTF) I don't think heat is an answer to foam issue.

Yeah you shouldn't get any foaming with btf since it has an anti foaming agent. I betcha his lhbs isn't selling btf....They might even be buying bulk and re-bottling it.

Thanks All. This helps slot. Considering my bottle appears to have a generic label, It sounds like it's bought in bulk and bottled and does not contain an anti foaming agent.

Since I'm a new brewer I'm wondering what kind of sanitizers you guys use and recommend?

Thanks All. This helps slot. Considering my bottle appears to have a generic label, It sounds like it's bought in bulk and bottled and does not contain an anti foaming agent.

Since I'm a new brewer I'm wondering what kind of sanitizers you guys use and recommend?

There's nothing wrong with what you have. The top 2 best sanitizers are iodophors and star san and if you opt for starsan the THIS is the kind of foaming you get. ;)

img1246971502114.jpg

img1246971368016.jpg

Like I said foaming is good in a no rinse santizer, it insures that things are killed in every nook and cranny.

Foaming is no reason for you to want to switch.

I use Iodopher. BTF brand that I get from a guy that buy's in bulk. I get a 32oz refill for a cheap price. I might look for the foamy stuff you are using if it is cheaper.

Back