Okay Mash Paddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I needed a budget mash paddle. Eventually I'll get a nicer one, but have already spent enough on equipment the past couple of weeks. That said, I found this (for lack of a better description) toddler-sized plastic snow shovel at the store the other day. 5 bucks!!

I cut the scoop part down to a reasonable size (though the whole thing would have fit in the keggle as purchased! lol It just wouldn't have left much room to actually stir anything without being cut down to size.

Anyway, just want to make sure this would be okay? I mean I can't imagine it's food-grade plastic or anything, but I'm just using it as a giant spoon so contact time isn't going to be all that much.

Think it's safe to use?

Hopefully it won't melt at mash temps!

I carved my own out of a piece of red oak and sealed it with cutting board oil... cost of oak: $3.75

16.jpg

Is there any advantage to using a "mash paddle" instead of just a SS spoon? I mean, they both stir things up?

I guess maybe I have too much time on my hands... lol.

The holes in the paddle help knock apart dough balls... other than that I have no idea if there is a big difference.

I guess maybe I have too much time on my hands... lol.

The holes in the paddle help knock apart dough balls... other than that I have no idea if there is a big difference.

Thats cool. I just have seen everyone buying/spending money on these things and I have a $6 SS spoon that I use, so I thought I might be out of the loop on something

A mash paddle can be anything you want to call "your" mash paddle. I use an old wooden spoon with a big hole drilled in it. Works great for my rectangular cooler mash tun.

dimensions??

Hmmm... I can't say off the top of my head. I know i used a 36" long piece of wood. The paddle part is probably about 3.5" x 12".
Also, a dremel carving bit is great for putting your brewery name in the handle :)

Back