Keezer build questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Ok so I have a chest freezer that I would like to turn into a keezer. I'm thinking that I'd like to go with a 4 tap keezer. How much am I looking at spending to get this setup? Is there a general parts list anywhere for a 4 tap keezer? I googled it, but only got sites that sell keezers.

I imagine I'll need:

- 4 port manifold
- air lines
- beer lines
- temp controller
- 2x6's for a collar
- C02 tank (how big should I go?)(is 5lb tank enough or do I need to go bigger?)
Also, should I store the C02 tank in the keezer, or drill through the collar and set it outside?

- Clamps
- Fittings for the corny kegs
- Regulators I imagine I'll need 4 of them

Anything else I'm missing?
Also how much do you think all of this would cost me?

Also do you think it would be cheaper to buy a complete kit, or do you think it would be cheaper to purchase each part separate? Also where is a good site to get kegging stuff from?

Ok so I have a chest freezer that I would like to turn into a keezer. I'm thinking that I'd like to go with a 4 tap keezer. How much am I looking at spending to get this setup? Is there a general parts list anywhere for a 4 tap keezer? I googled it, but only got sites that sell keezers.

I imagine I'll need:

- 4 port manifold
- air lines
- beer lines
- temp controller
- 2x6's for a collar
- C02 tank (how big should I go?)(is 5lb tank enough or do I need to go bigger?)
Also, should I store the C02 tank in the keezer, or drill through the collar and set it outside?

- Clamps
- Fittings for the corny kegs
- Regulators I imagine I'll need 4 of them

Anything else I'm missing?
Also how much do you think all of this would cost me?

Store the tank outside the keezer. Drill a hole through the wood and install a flare bulkhead fitting like this one: http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_46&products_id=2262 And you'll need some white nylon flare fitting washers and flare swivel nuts and barbs. Even if you use barb fittings in the rest of your keezer, it's nice to have flare fittings on the bulkhead to make it easy to connect and disconnect your CO2 tank.

Get a 20 lb CO2 tank if you can. It's nice to have two if you want to spend the bucks for them, maybe one 20 lb and one 10 lb, so that you don't have to be in a hurry to exchange or refill when one runs out. Or two 10 lb tanks. In my opinion, the 5 lb tanks run out too fast, and 10 lb tanks are not much more expensive.

You will need to buy a primary regulator for your tank if it doesn't come with one. You won't need secondary regulators unless you want different pressure going to each keg. If you have secondary regulators, you wouldn't necessarily need air distributors. But you can certainly combine the two.

For example, you could run primary to an air distributor (manifold) and then out to all your kegs at the same pressure. If you get one secondary, then you can split two different pressures to any number of kegs by putting air distributors downstream from your regulators. With two secondaries, you can have three pressures. Three secondaries will give you four pressures. I have an 8 tap keezer with a bank of three secondary regulators. Each secondary goes to a three-way air distributor. So I can keep 9 kegs at three different pressures.

If you can get away with running all kegs at the same pressure, it's cheaper to just buy a 4-way distributor and run them all off your primary regulator.

Don't forget gas in and gas out quick disconnects for your kegs.

I'd also recommend a 20# CO2 tank unless you enjoy going and getting a smaller tank filled regularly.

I'd also recommend a 20# CO2 tank unless you enjoy going and getting a smaller tank filled regularly.

so how many pints can I pour with a 5# tank?

I wouldn't mind filling every 2-3 months, but filling every month would be a PITA.

-=Jason=-

quoted from kegworks.com:

Most of our kits come with a 5-pound steel CO2 Tank. With this size CO2 Tank, you can serve about 5-7 half kegs of beer. Welding supply companies, fire extinguisher supply companies, and gas dealers can fill CO2 tanks. Look under "Gas" in the yellow pages in your local phone book for dealers near you. More info

and:

How much beer is in a keg?
How much beer is in your keg is up to you!

Breweries no longer make whole kegs; they stopped about 35 years ago because they were just too heavy to lug around. Your options are the following:

* 1/2 keg: Holds 15.5 gallons, which is 7 cases of beer

so 5 1/2 kegs is 15 corny kegs....per co2 tank.

BTW,

I dunno about other folks, but 15 corny's would last me forever. I guess I need more drinking buddies...

Orlando

quoted from kegworks.com:

Most of our kits come with a 5-pound steel CO2 Tank. With this size CO2 Tank, you can serve about 5-7 half kegs of beer. Welding supply companies, fire extinguisher supply companies, and gas dealers can fill CO2 tanks. Look under "Gas" in the yellow pages in your local phone book for dealers near you. More info

and:

How much beer is in a keg?
How much beer is in your keg is up to you!

Breweries no longer make whole kegs; they stopped about 35 years ago because they were just too heavy to lug around. Your options are the following:

* 1/2 keg: Holds 15.5 gallons, which is 7 cases of beer

so 5 1/2 kegs is 15 corny kegs....per co2 tank.

There is no way 1, 5# tank covers 15 corny kegs. Or at least not in my experience. 5-7 sounds accurate. 10 tops. I force carb, so maybe thats where the diff is.

I have a 5# tank for my 4 tap keezer (hold 8 kegs total). I just bought a 20# tank cuz the 5# was starting to get annoying. Outside or inside doesnt matter, but outside doesnt take up space. I moved mine outside recently to get more space.

I noticed those of you who do your builds you make a wooden collar. What's the purpose? Are you removing the top door off the freezer, adding the collar, then placing the door on top of that? Is it solely to give you a few extra inches on the inside?

I noticed those of you who do your builds you make a wooden collar. What's the purpose? Are you removing the top door off the freezer, adding the collar, then placing the door on top of that? Is it solely to give you a few extra inches on the inside?

Not how I did it, but for those that do it that way it gives extra space (some freezers are not tall enough to get a keg in there with connectors on), but it also gives you a very easy way to get the taps to run off the front as opposed to the top. Most freezers have the coils in the side walls of the freezer.

Right, extra height above the kegs and a place to drill for taps. Plus it gives a handy for place to mount air manifolds and secondary valves on the inside of the keezer.

My collar and my door are both hinged. I can lift the whole thing, collar with taps and all, to move kegs in and out. I can lift just the top lid when I want to adjust pressures, fiddle with lines, etc.

Back