12" (20QT) lids for keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I need to get some lids for my keggles and it seems that I can buy 12" flat aluminum lids all day long for ~10.00.

Is there a problem with me using aluminum lids just to retain the heat while heating my HLT and BK?

I used an aluminum pot for a long time before I switched to my keggle. Don't buy into all the hype about not using aluminum. As far as the lids...aluminum will work fine. I actually just bought a 12" SS Pizza pan and bolted a handle to it.

I'm not sure if you are asking if its ok to use a lid untill it comes to a boil or if you are questioning aluminum. Regardless, both are fine. Aluminum=good, Lid on pot=good till hot break approaches.

Also, where are you buying the lids from. I have never really found a good source for my future keggle build.

I was wondering if aluminum was ok to use. I also read that if you place a lid on the BK while it is boiling (or to elevate heat before the boil) that you would get off flavors...I can't recall tasting any off flavors when I did it during extract boiling....Am I way off on this one?

I am in CA. I found a restaurant supply when I was driving down the freeway today...decided to stop.

I was wondering if aluminum was ok to use. I also read that if you place a lid on the BK while it is boiling (or to elevate heat before the boil) that you would get off flavors...I can't recall tasting any off flavors when I did it during extract boiling....Am I way off on this one?

I am in CA. I found a restaurant supply when I was driving down the freeway today...decided to stop.

You're right. While boiling, lids should not be used. When you are trying to get it to boil, and immediately after you end your boil...lids are fine. After the boil is a must. You don't want anything getting in there at this point.

My first two kegs were modified and the 12" hole that was cut out were converted to lids...I personally don't like them. I think I will go with the 12" aluminum lids for 10.00 a piece....I am all about uniformity or AKA A.D.D as they call it hahaha

Latest posts

Back