Milling Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
I have about 6 pounds of grain to crush and I don't have a mill. What tool is best for this job? I have a blender and a coffee grinder. Could I use either of those? Otherwise it's just elbow grease... but even by hand, how to you recommend doing the job?
Thanks!!

The coffee grinder may be the closest match to what you need, but you have to watch and make sure it doesn't turn the grain to flour. The clearance in my two roller mill is about .035". If you have a way to check your mill, it might work.

I used a food processor on my last bag of specialty grains but it was only about a pound. I put about a cup into the food processor at a time, pulsed it for maybe 15 seconds and then dumped it into the grain bag. Seemed to work OK but it certainly isn't a mill.

What are you using the grain for?

If you are using it for steeping I don't think you would need as good of a crush as for a partial mash. If it were me I would do it with a rolling pin in a big ziploc bag. I would imagine you could do a pound or two at a time with this method.

On the other hand if you are using a muslin bag or something similar than you really don't have to worry about ruining the husks (except for tannin extraction) so a coffee grinder or food processor might be just as good and more convenient. Like I said depends on what you are doing with it.

thanks for the reply,

I'm making my first attempt with an all grain recipe. I'm going to use a nylon bag during the boil.

Are you doing a small batch or a small beer? 6 pounds is a rather small grain bill for an all grain 5 gallon batch? Just wondering......

I"m making a small batch, I took the directions for a medium body pumpkin ale adn cut it in half, I expect to have about 2.5 gallons at the end.

I'm concerned that with a coffee grinder or a food processor that the husks would be too shredded. I don't think you'd get good results. I think I'd try the rolling pin/ziploc bag method.

Are you far from a LHBS, where you could pop in and crush your grain? Next time, buy it crushed so that you don't have to go through this again!

Back