Promash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
Thoughts on Promash software? I just ordered it today so I am interested to hear what users have to say. Does a user manual come with it? Is it user friendly? I probably should have posted questions before buying it, but figured I need it now that I am doing AG. Thanks in advance for feedback.

I don't own it yet, but have downloaded the trial version. What I like best is all the calculators that come with it. When I finally move to all grain, I figure I will buy it was well.

Well, I am a computer professional by trade so to me it seems intuitive.
There are some parameters that I do not fully understand but in my opinion it is user friendly. It is Icon driven and most icons are intuitive. It comes with online help. I think you will find it easy to work with as long as you know the lingo. If you don't understand something just post the questions here and I am sure someone will know the answer.

It's a great tool to add to your brew arsenal.

I love it too. I goofed around with Promash, Qbrew, Strangebrew and some others before deciding on Promash. As Sam said, I wish I could utilize it to its full potential but I couldn't do recipes without it.
I told Rhoobarb yesterday that bvuying Promash was probably the best thing I've done to improve my brewing to date.

I bought it just before I decided to shift to all grain. From an AG standpoint I find it invaluable. If your doing extract I wouldn't really see the big benefit.

It's definitely awesome. One of the coolest things is how you can export your recipes and post them on the web.

It has all the cool standard recipe formulation stuff that helps you put together recipes. That's the most valuable thing to me besides a running log.

I don't think it lacks any features at all.

Promash does need to update their grain and hops lists. They are a bit dated .
Great tool though! I couldn't hit my volumes with out it....and I Do have volumes.

ORRELSE said:
...I told Rhoobarb yesterday that buying Promash was probably the best thing I've done to improve my brewing to date...

Yes, you did, and you were right.

I downloaded the free trial over the weekend but didn't get a chance to play with it until tonight (too busy brewing!). I really like it, especially for AG. I have QBrew and like it - for doing extract recipes, it's fine. But from what I've seen tonight, I think Promash is the only way to go for AG'ers!

I just received it and loaded it today. I'll have to play around with the program for awhile to understand all of the capabilities. A ton of tools....

Just bought it myself. Looking to play around with it the next couple days. I have yet to try an AG brew, but am looking to try it now that I have a half dozen brews under my belt. More challenges the better, right?!

We must all be on the same wavelength. I just bought it online a few minutes ago. I downloaded the free trial version last week and played with it. That sold me!

I, too, am looking forward to exploring this program!

I used it to formulate an a hefeweizen. What a great program! I hit the numbers perfectly. The true test will be the taste test in a few weeks, but Promash is definitely worth it, and I look forward to improving my brewing with the package.

I downloaded it a last week, I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it yet. I have finals next week, been a little bit too busy. Looking forward to using it though.

Xiren said:
Does anyone know how to convert an extract recipe to an all-grain recipe?
Thanks.
If the original recipe just used extra light DME/LME as the main fermentables you can pretty much just remove that and add 2-row until you get back to the same OG. If they used something like dark DME or amber or something, you would have to try and figure out a good combination of grains to get you that colour.

first post, ive been lurking for a few weeks now. If you are a Mac user like myself there is another very intuitive program out there called Beer Alchemy. I use that for my recipes and it hasnt failed me yet.

http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/products/BeerAlchemy.html

One cool feature that it has is you can export directly from the software to your iPod so that you can bring your recipe's around with you. Its probably overkill for most people, but since i do not have the capabilities to do all grain at my apartment I generally brew at my LHBS. Instead of printing up the recipe or writing it down, i just export it to my ipod and bring it along with me.

Anyway, i love this forum - especially the DIY section. Some of the things that people come up with are amazing. Actually, MOST of the stuff in there is amazing.

No one here has mentioned BeerSmith, so I will. I like it better than ProMash. I thought ProMash had a Windows 3.1 look and feel, and it seemed a little dated. The interface was a bit "clunky." While BeerSmith isn't exactly cutting edge, either, I think it's a friendlier program. The designers just released a new version with some nice improvements.

Yuri_Rage said:
No one here has mentioned BeerSmith, so I will. I like it better than ProMash. I thought ProMash had a Windows 3.1 look and feel, and it seemed a little dated. The interface was a bit "clunky." While BeerSmith isn't exactly cutting edge, either, I think it's a friendlier program. The designers just released a new version with some nice improvements.

Wow! I didn't notice they had a new version. And LOOK! It's like they made the mash adjustment screen just for people like me!!! :cross:

Too bad there doesn't appear to be a discount for upgrades... :( That's almost enough to make me want to try Promash...

Damn Squirrels said:
Too bad there doesn't appear to be a discount for upgrades... :( That's almost enough to make me want to try Promash...
Upgrades to Beersmith from other vendor's software? C'mon -- it's less than $20, man. Well worth it.

Or do you mean upgrades from previous licensed versions of Beersmith? They are FREE! :fro:

Back