Bottles with screw caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidkrau

Reaction score
We've always been told that we can't use the new kind of bottles that have the easy remove screw on caps. Well on another thread some guy stated that he bottled breer and used the screw bottles and they worked fine. I don't know whether he used a regular bottle capper or whether he hand screwed caps on. Has anyone ever tried screw on bottles? I'm goinf to try to find the other thread and put a response on there too.

Some people have done it with success. I have never used screw top bottles so I can't really compare.

my capper is sold as "the universal capper"
i have capped about 60 twist offs so far
only drank about 10 so far but they have all been fine
:tank:

Need to use the 40oz bottles with the real screw caps (like the malt liquor ones hehe)!!!

Not so many bottles to fill, plus you can always say "I just had one!"

With the universal capper could you use say 12 oz Miller or budweiser bottles and use regular non screw on caps? Where can I get a universal capper? I never heard it. Thanks for your response.

ok well i have a bench capper and i thought i'd try this experiment a while back with some ice house twist off bottles.

i found the results mixed.

some samples were fine while others were not as fresh or didn't have the "pffftttt!" that you would expect when opening a bottle of beer.

i was less than impressed with the results.

so for me - even after reading other forums where ppl have used with better results than mine, i decided to never use the twist offs again.

I always thought that twist offs needed special caps, but I've noticed lately that the caps that come off of twist offs are the same as any other cap, so theoretically if you're careful you ought to be able to use them...especially if you have a bench capper. Personally tho, I've got more regular bottles than I'll ever be able to use, so I just don't see the point in messing with them.

On a side note, since this is the All Grain forum, and this is a bottling thread, I'm going to move it to the appropriate forum. :)

One of my earliest acqusitions of bottles was 15doz tall screw cap bottles, Using a bench capper I have never broken one during capping and none have ever lost pressure. The only doubt I have with them is that beacuase they are a glass/plastic amalgum and are lighter than the crown seal glass is the strength of them. I have had a few "bottle Bombs" and the screw caps absolutely blow to smithereens where the glass ones normally crack into bigger pieces. (Since re-assessing my priming sugar amount the bomb count has dropped to 0) But as for the sealing/capping they take normal seals/lids just fine and can be opened by srewing or prying the lids off easily. Cheers alx

Alx Rains said:
Using a bench capper I have never broken one during capping and none have ever lost pressure.
Do you have to do anything different capping these, or is it pretty much the same as capping other bottles?

ahoym8e said:
Need to use the 40oz bottles with the real screw caps (like the malt liquor ones hehe)!!!

Not so many bottles to fill, plus you can always say "I just had one!"

Damn ! You discovered my secret. Cool thing is, you can drink the Miller/ King Cobra/ Steel Reserve, etc.. and tell people you're just doing it for the bottles.:tank:

Hey El P. No nothing really different, just put them on and pull the lever! Only thing you might find is a slight tendancy to get "stuckish" in the head of the capper rather than the glass crown than just stay put, just a liitle extra pressure and they come out, never broken one due to that though!
Cheers Alx

Alx Rains said:
Hey El P. No nothing really different, just put them on and pull the lever! Only thing you might find is a slight tendancy to get "stuckish" in the head of the capper rather than the glass crown than just stay put, just a liitle extra pressure and they come out, never broken one due to that though!
Cheers Alx
Exactly ALX. I have used, over the years, thousands of twist off bottles for my brew until I went kegging. Over a span of 20 years of bottling I have only broken 2 bottles while capping them and have only had a total of dozen go "flat".
I'm told that our Canadian twist off bottles are heavier than our American bottles and from the ones I have seen agree with that statement.
I use no special caps to bottle with and although they are hard to remove without a churchkey they can be twisted off. I used to inspect carefully each bottle before use due to the possibility of hairline cracks in them which would cause breakage or loss of prime in a full bottle.
But I agree with what ALX said about them sticking lol.:mug:

One thing that nobody has mentioned (as far as I can see) is reusing the original screw top caps that came with the beer. Has anybody tried this? Does it seal adequately?

I'm brand new to home brew (first batch is in the primary now) and would appreciate any information since I already have a case of screw top bottles and the original caps and don't want to waste my new brew.

If nobody has tried this, I'll try a 6-pack of them and let you all know what happens.

Latest posts

Back