secondary temps for ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbuck984

Reaction score
I have a cellar under my basement that stays nice and cool (52-55*f) and was wondering if it would be ok to put the carboys of ales down there after theyr'e done in the primary? How would that effect the yeast and flavor?

No that will not be ok. And to make sure that you are not tempted to use that area, where are you so I can place a few kegs down there?:D

It will be fine, in fact it may be better than fine, that may be ideal:mug:

really? You mean I've been keepin them in my kitchen for no damn reason!! I usually bottle after about 30 days, should they stay down there longer?

If you do a secondary in a carboy, that's a fine place. If you bottle and naturally condition you may want to keep the bottles in a warmer place for a week or two so they carbonate, then put them in the cellar. I drink all my ales at that temperature, so keep the bottles there, it's perfect. Where do you live, I want to bring some carboys and bottles over for storage

Hey I don't have a basement. As long as your lending storage space to all these homebrewers, can I maybe put some bottles and a carboy down there too. :D

Ales would take forever to condition and could go dorment but lagers would be in heaven. I would make bocks, pils, helles, schworzbier, dunkels etc. Perfect. WLP830 yeast.

After fermentation is done, definitely put your secondary (clearing tank) carboy down in that space, it's a great place to clear and condition.

I've had good luck with ales doing at two week primary at ~70 degress then going to a secondary at 55-60 degrees for a week or two.

After bottling I store them at 70 and they carbonate up fine.

I live in Nebraska, lol. Wouldn't mind a couple carboys lagering down there at all. I have my first octoberfest down there right now, haven't had the place all that long so lagers are new to me but from now on thats about all I'm gonna do if I can find my flavor that is. Seems so much more convienient to just brew em and put them down there unseen. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back