Nylon air hose for beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
I'm building a 6 tap, upright kegerator and am considering using 3/16" ID self-retracting nylon air hose for beer line, because I don't want my beer lines hanging out all over the place. Have you had experience with this, or know anyone who has? Check this out (copy this part number before clicking the link below, then enter it on the left of the McMaster-Carr web site) Part number 5644K92
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Maximum PSI is 285 @ 72°F
Temperature Range: -40° to +200°F
Hose ID is smooth

It will look really clean if it works. I'm planning to use < 2' of coiled line for each tap. That means the beer will actually travel about 5' from the corney to the tap. I'll connect with 90° elbow barbs from the shanks. The downside is the hose isn't clear, it's red. But does it really matter? Let me know if you've heard of this before. I don't want to make the investment if it's going to make the beer foamy, or kink up, or something. What should I be concerned about? Thanks

It'll probably make the beer foamy. If you want a good pour, you really need to use beer line. Like this:

http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?keyword=line&category_id=2106

It may look like the stuff from the hardware store but it isn't. Most people who know tap setups will tell you you're wasting your time unless you use quality beer line. It's possible to make something else work, but it just makes life harder.

As far as the specific hose you're looking at, I wouldn't. It says for use with air right in the catalog. Is it food grade? Is it suitible for an acidic solution? And what does a coily retracting hose gain you on stationary taps? I would think the coils would be more likely to foam the beer. You want to go straight up to the destination tap.

Just route the hoses where they won't be seen if you're worried about appearance. there are lots of ways to hide it.

This hose is not food grade. It will not stand up to the acid in the beer. The walls of t5he tubing are not as smooth as beer line and it will probably impart a wierd flavor in you beer. Stick with the beer line.

I'll believe in "beer grade" when I tour a hose factory and see them change something to make it instead of whatever else they make. Nylon- like all those plastic utensils for the non stick pans? Nylon, like your girl friend's panties? I think a taste test will tell...

I do have a problem with those damn kinkly hoses though. One straight piece is lots less trouble than dealing with the slinky or- think of those snake-in-a-can tricks- every time you open the door, a hose pops out at you. Unless it's tangled around verydamnthingelse in the fridge. What a rat's nest.

casebrew said:
I'll believe in "beer grade" when I tour a hose factory and see them change something to make it instead of whatever else they make. Nylon- like all those plastic utensils for the non stick pans? Nylon, like your girl friend's panties? I think a taste test will tell...QUOTE]

Wait, are you asking for a taste test of my girl friend's panties?

Janx said:
It'll probably make the beer foamy. If you want a good pour, you really need to use beer line. Like this:

http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?keyword=line&category_id=2106

It may look like the stuff from the hardware store but it isn't. Most people who know tap setups will tell you you're wasting your time unless you use quality beer line. It's possible to make something else work, but it just makes life harder.

As far as the specific hose you're looking at, I wouldn't. It says for use with air right in the catalog. Is it food grade? Is it suitible for an acidic solution? And what does a coily retracting hose gain you on stationary taps? I would think the coils would be more likely to foam the beer. You want to go straight up to the destination tap.

Just route the hoses where they won't be seen if you're worried about appearance. there are lots of ways to hide it.
I've been looking for a source for the beer line. Thanks! Also, I just drilled my refrigerator and placed my CO2 bottle on the outside. I found all the parts at Lowes. For the gas line I used some 3/16 braided plastic tubing. It looks like it is the same thickness as the beer line that came with my kegging starter kit. Is this OK for the gas in line? It seems to work good but I want to be sure.

Few things can compare to plastic hose taste. I would really hesitate if not food rated. Best is specific to beer. I add that bread yeast will make beer, but no comparison to ale and lager yeasts. Spend a few extra bucks.:tank:

Genghis77 said:
Few things can compare to plastic hose taste. I would really hesitate if not food rated. Best is specific to beer. I add that bread yeast will make beer, but no comparison to ale and lager yeasts. Spend a few extra bucks.:tank:

The coiled air line is actually more expensive, but I'm convinced to stick with beer line. I guess I'm like most home brewers; we give a lot of TLC to our brew and don't want to screw up a good thing.

Latest posts

Back