2014 Winter Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah, did you watch the womens slope style qualifiers last night? It sucks how NBC picks and chooses, but hey limited time. The chick from Tahoe made the rest of em look like fools!

Caught some of the men's but not women's. Can't imagine doing that with a broken rib like McMorris. Then falling on it too. Ouch...

Torah Bright from Aust looked great (in so many ways)

Love the olympics. I may like the winter more than the summer.

Love the curling, all kinds of snowboarding, freestyle, ski jumping

Figure skating not so much

Now that is one heck of recovery from luge crash....and he went on to finish the race. Amazing.

GO TEAM USA!!!

Olympic-Rings-One-Job1.jpg

One of our hometown boys (well, men, as he's in his early 30s) made his second trip to the winter olympics. He is a snowboarder, doing snowboard cross, and we was walking next to Shaun White on TV last night.

I don't care all that much for the guy (long story), but his mom and dad are great people and it was nice to see him on the screen as I'm sure his parents and family were so excited to see him again at the Olympics.

I love to watch the olympics- but I wish it was showing more sports instead of certain individuals being picked out for human interest stories. It's like watching a soap opera with a bit of sports thrown in. I'd like the coverage in the evening to be reversed- show much more sports and have those deep personal stories available online to anybody who cares about that angle.

I like it all! Hockey especially, but alpine skiing, curling, luge, bobsled, etc are all great. I dislike most figure skating stuff, especially the froo-froo dancing bits. I think most people like the skating, as that seems to be what they show the most but it's not for me at all.

Am I the only one who loves watching curling? I'm assuming it's still an Olympic sport, haven't seen it yet, but I just love watching that! I guess it's just the weirdness of the whole thing, but I find it oddly relaxing to watch.

We went to the '06 Olympics in Torino, and I have since become the biggest Olympics fan and supporter. We met wonderful people! and the Olympic spirit was quite palpable. To be honest, I was torn this year, what with all the hullabaloo about Russia. But, the first time I watched a snowboarder flying down a mountain in slope style, all of that political mess just faded away for me. These athletes perform super-human feats that would leave most of us dead, and that commands great respect.

So go Olympics and Go Team USA!

Btw, we did go see curling in Torino. It was friggin' amazing, and I have watched it ever since. They make it look sooooo easy.

I was watching cross country and speed skating. It is almost painfully exhausting just to watch them. I can't imagine how energy you need and how much that takes out of you. I wish I was in that kind of shape.

Frankly, it is nice to see that there still are young folks with such dedication to something that doesn't have instant gratification. I was starting to think that generation did nothing but text and play video games.

Did you see the quote from the lead investigator into the death of the guy who was responsible for the opening ceremony snowflake/Olympic ring mishap?

"Maybe he fell on a set of knives or something.......Accidents happen when you betray Russia."

Yikes.

Cleaning up a mess to part of an audience vs. anticipating potential problems...

Ehhhh....maybe I'm just anti Russian right now. I guess I have a problem with countries that....

Wait. I'm seeing a can of worms opening.

Yes dear. Your right, my love. I'm wrong. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

Cleaning up a mess to part of an audience vs. anticipating potential problems...

Ehhhh....maybe I'm just anti Russian right now. I guess I have a problem with countries that....

Wait. I'm seeing a can of worms opening.

Yes dear. Your right, my love. I'm wrong. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

The original report was satire, BTW....just having some fun. :p

Wow, the men's Biathlon 10k opener goes to the 40 year old master for his 12th medal. So badass!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can you image the size of his heart? I'm not talking about his courage and motivation. After ~30 years of hard-core training and competing in a sport like that, his heart must be massive.

I'm interested in the Hockey and curling. Not sure how much I'll get to see. Right now we don't have local channels due to needing to upgrade out dish antenna. Well, I *could* have wired the roof antenna, but forgot. Probably should do that some time. I really want it done for FM radio, more than local TV, but there is a SHTTON on snow right where the wire is, so it might wait until spring now.

Anyway, yes, curling and hockey, but I'm not too picky about who wins hockey. Of course it would first be USA, but since I watch a lot of Red Wings games, I know a lot of the players from all over the world.

I'd love to see a US/Canada final round for both events!

Being born Dutch, speed skating of course. :D
I can hardly believe the times they make nowadays.

Pretty much everything else except, sorry, hockey.

Aside from NBC on TV and web, watching the BBC feeds through a VPN. No soap there.

Mens' hockey started up yesterday, and the US, Russia, and Canada are all in action today. Russia and the US both started their games at 6:30am (Central) this morning, with Canada dropping the puck at 11:0am (Central). Russia had some early trouble with Slovenia, but look like they're going to pull away late. The US having no trouble with Slovakia, putting up 6 (yes, SIX!!!) goals in the 2nd. They're on cruise control for the rest of the game.

First big game is Saturday morning here in the States, with US and Russia facing off at 6:30am (Central). I'll be up early to watch, followed by a brew day!

I get up for the mens and women's downhill big time, though I only watch it in the Olympics. I can't think of another sport that rides the hairy edge more than this one. Anyone remember this one from 1998? Its one of my favorite Olympic memories (nevermind the foreign language audio). Guy is friggin' Superman for getting back up.

I also like watching the hockey, short track speed skating, luge/bobsled, moguls, and alpine events. The new slopestyle is pretty entertaining as well. Winter Olympics >> Summer Olympics!

Last edited by a moderator:
The US having no trouble with Slovakia, putting up 6 (yes, SIX!!!) goals in the 2nd. They're on cruise control for the rest of the game.

I was really excited for this, but sometime in the 2nd it lost its edge. Maybe it was the 6 goals... So I switched to Russia/Slovenia and that's when the Russians started pulling away. DAMN IT. Honestly, I think the Women's hockey games have been more exciting. They seem to be playing with more of an edge. The men's teams are just a bunch of shuffled up NHL/KHL players.

I also saw team luge today for the first time. That was neat to watch.

I can't get enough curling. Had the opportunity to actually try it out last year (there's a curling club near where I live that offered lessons) and I think it is so much fun. Hard but so much fun

I always try and watch curling whenever I can during the games

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Back