Glass carboy with hole on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
subbed...very interesting concept. I'll have to give this whole thread a read on the metra this afternoon after work.

Man, this is a great idea! And as far as all the negativity goes, "a hater's gonna hate", especially when they've spent 500 bucks on their setup and you achieve the same result for 60! As far as the sides not being steep enough, just give it a shake or swirl every few days. Convention is the enemy of progress
Good job!

Man, this is a great idea! And as far as all the negativity goes, "a hater's gonna hate", especially when they've spent 500 bucks on their setup and you achieve the same result for 60! As far as the sides not being steep enough, just give it a shake or swirl every few days. Convention is the enemy of progress
Good job!

Have you not been reading this thread? It's not conjecture...hundreds, maybe thousands, of people have tried it. I have personal experience with it. It doesn't work like a conical.

Good job!

Man this is in poor taste, did you not get the notice of the memorial?

:p

No, no notice. But memorial or not, when is encouragement in poor taste?

Hmm....How about encouraging a quadriplegic to get out of his bed?

Oooh! I got another one: How about encouraging someone to put effort into something that has been a proven failure?

Yup. Those ought to qualify...

Cheers! ;)

A transparent conical would be pretty cool, if only someone could make the bottles a little differently.

Better yet, we need to discover the transparent aluminum Scotty talked about in that Star Trek save the whales movie.

A transparent conical would be pretty cool, if only someone could make the bottles a little differently.

Better yet, we need to discover the transparent aluminum Scotty talked about in that Star Trek save the whales movie.

In the kind words of Ogre "NERD!!!!!!!!!!":D Maybe if you used the dilithium crytal it would make a better conical?;)

In the kind words of Ogre "NERD!!!!!!!!!!":D Maybe if you used the dilithium crytal it would make a better conical?;)

Too Dangerous. Didn't you see what happened to Spock in Wrath of Kahn?? (Or what happened to Kirk in the new ST movie; "Star Trek: Into Darkness (AKA Ripped off other Star Trek Movie plot twists."

But could you imagine Powering a brewing system with Dilithium Crystals?? She canno' handle it, cap'n!

Too Dangerous. Didn't you see what happened to Spock in Wrath of Kahn?? (Or what happened to Kirk in the new ST movie; "Star Trek: Into Darkness (AKA Ripped off other Star Trek Movie plot twists."

But could you imagine Powering a brewing system with Dilithium Crystals?? She canno' handle it, cap'n!

It's like Gordie is staring right through to my soul man! Being younger my idol has and will always be Yzerman though. GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(With the "Red Alert" siren wailing in the background)

Kirk: "I said more hops, Scotty!"

Scotty: "I'm givin' 'er all she's got, Cap'n!"

Kirk: "Bones, where's that yeast, we're almost at pitching temperature!"

Bones: "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a brewer!"

Spock: "Captain, your hopping level is over 250 IBUs. However, the wort can only absorb a theoretical limit of 100 IBUs. It's not logical. You're wasting hops."

Kirk: "Spock, I wouldn't expect a soulless robot like yourself to appreciate the subtle nuances of a double IPA. Just do what I ordered!"

Most assuredly, no.
Whining in public is never A Good Thing and is an automatic DQ...

Cheers! ;)

Hey, if it got one laugh it was worth the DQ. :D

I'm on the OP's side though, I'd like to see some pics of this thing in action. Regardless of whether or not it is the most efficient way to achieve what he was going for at least he's giving it a shot, and just because it doesn't work as well as some people would like (assuming it doesn't), doesn't mean it won't work well enough to get the job done for him.

Hell, even if it failed horribly throw some pics up and own it, you'll get my applause either way.

I can't believe you guys killed the OP. That is so uncool.

I had this same idea a few months back and came to the same conclusion that Denny suggests. However, there is an easy solution - just get the better bottle guys to make a carboy with a steeper "funnel" easy peasy.

Who's with me?!?!:ban:

Nope - I am still here. I am a little broke still trying to gather a couple of things to get my system in place. I home brewed for 10 years (starting in the early 90's and was mostly self taught because of the lack of info) before I then worked at two brewpubs. Ten years after those experiences, I know that I want to have a few minimum things in place such as a temperature controlled fermenter fridge (used - which, tomorrow I am getting one from the in-laws) and a pump. For those that make good beers - we know it's all about hitting your temperatures and then holding them at those temps, whether it's mashing, boiling, fermenting or storage.

Raising a couple of kids, in this economy (my wife and I have our own companies) is the most challenging thing I have ever done. This past weekend was also the last weekend of fall soccer. I am the head coach of two boys teams. My B-7 team won the league championship and my B-11 team finished a challenging (Competitive soccer team) season as we transitioned from 6v6 to 8v8 soccer Way more time consuming than most anyone out there on this thread can appreciate. I readily admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, too!

My goal has always been to have 2 to 3 brews on tap available for my friends & family for the Thanksgiving feast that we always host. Therefore, look for some progress in a couple of weeks.

Finally, I am shocked to see almost 250 replies to this thread. I figure I'd get a bunch of views and a couple of atta-boys, nothing else. I am always fascinated to see that a lot of Americans have way too much time on their hands.

nope - i am still here. I am a little broke still trying to gather a couple of things to get my system in place. I home brewed for 10 years (starting in the early 90's and was mostly self taught because of the lack of info) before i then worked at two brewpubs. Ten years after those experiences, i know that i want to have a few minimum things in place such as a temperature controlled fermenter fridge (used - which, tomorrow i am getting one from the in-laws) and a pump. For those that make good beers - we know it's all about hitting your temperatures and then holding them at those temps, whether it's mashing, boiling, fermenting or storage.

Raising a couple of kids, in this economy (my wife and i have our own companies) is the most challenging thing i have ever done. This past weekend was also the last weekend of fall soccer. I am the head coach of two boys teams. My b-7 team won the league championship and my b-11 team finished a challenging (competitive soccer team) season as we transitioned from 6v6 to 8v8 soccer way more time consuming than most anyone out there on this thread can appreciate. I readily admit to being a bit of a perfectionist, too!

My goal has always been to have 2 to 3 brews on tap available for my friends & family for the thanksgiving feast that we always host. Therefore, look for some progress in a couple of weeks.

Finally, i am shocked to see almost 250 replies to this thread. I figure i'd get a bunch of views and a couple of atta-boys, nothing else. I am always fascinated to see that a lot of americans have way too much time on their hands.

zombie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill it!!! Kill it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Finally, I am shocked to see almost 250 replies to this thread. I figure I'd get a bunch of views and a couple of atta-boys, nothing else. I am always fascinated to see that a lot of Americans have way too much time on their hands.

I am insulted! My house is a family of 5 with a 11 year old doing Irish Step dancing competitively, a 4 year old & 1 3/4 year old monsters tearing up the house, two dogs (fine they are the easy 2) and you think I have all this free time?!

Good day and good luck. :D

Seriously though this thread is getting worse than stale saltines we want pics! :mug:

If the Carboy is on a throne, how about a riddling schedule? give it some vigorous turns throughout its maturation, might help, and whatever you collect could be cultured up in a starter :) As for demijohns that big, they're simply too beautiful to potentially hurt, though they should be filled with wine :rockin: haha. <badadvice> As for the problem of tearing yourself to ribbons, there's a simple answer here: Chainmail! So don your armor, test (and cover) your manhood/womanhood, and cut those holes! </badadvice>

As for shrinking the better bottle, that's pretty funny. I have one that got contaminated, still has unremovable gunk, that I've been thinking of experimenting with. Best of luck to the OP and his mobile camping S****er on a furniture dolly, I could think of a ton of alternative uses, and A++ on thinking outside the box. Forget the anti-food-grade-plastic naysayers and whatnot, at the end of the day, IT'S YOUR BREW. Look forward to pics.

Happy brewing
-RBA

Subbed... I'm halfway through the thread here at work, but my boss just got in, so I'll have to pick it back up later. Good work so far Bahed. I think it's a pretty awesome idea.

Back