How to lager a Kolsch ale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How to lager a Kolsch ale,I used WLP 029 8 days now in primary at 65 ,
and would like to lager it for a few weeks what is the best ways to that
a have a temp controller, would like any advice on best way to finish it up.
:drunk:

I would wait until you hit your FG, then lager around 35-40 for a month. Make sure you hit your FG before you lager, though, otherwise it will take a very long time to finish up. Also, IMO 65 is too warm for a Koelsch, but ymmv, etc. I would've fermented at 58-60.

From WLP site
optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°F
Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation.
Plus I think it was little cooler then that 62-65 °F
Thank for the advice

Chris White also recommends to ferment most ale strains in the high 60's to 70's, which I also disagree with for homebrewers. I think his advice is more for big brewers who use cylindroconicals which inhibit ester formation. For homebrewers, I think low 60's is a good range for most ales, and I brew (and enjoy) a lot estery Belgian beers.

For the German ale strains I find the high 50's to give me the more "clean" flavor profile you're looking for in those types of beers. Koelsch yeast over 65* tastes too "winey" and fruity to me.

I have a kolsch in a keg right now. I kegged it and put it in the frig topping it off with CO2 once a day. Then pressurized to 12 for 4 days. I had one mug two weeks after kegging. Not bad so far. CO2 levels are the best I've ever had in the bottle. I didn't put it in the frig to lager. I figured a cold solution would take CO2 better. Glad to learn I did the right thing for the wrong reason.

I brewed a Pilsner Urquell clone using a kolsch yeast and kept it in primary for 3.5 weeks then racked it onto isinglass. It's in the fridge right now cooling down to mid 30s but the taste after 3.5 weeks in the mid to high 50s during primary is fantastic. So crisp and clean. I think high 50s is the way to go with Kolsch.

Most kolsh yeasts are lager yeasts. But not WLP029. It's a German ale/kolsh yeast. An ale yeast that gives a clean,lager-like flavor according the manufacturer's description given to midwest. I bought 2 vials. The first beer is past initial fermentation now. It started at 64F & got through initial fermentation at 68F. The yeasts optimal range on midwest was also said to be 65-69F. Nailed it pretty good.

Most kolsh yeasts are lager yeasts. But not WLP029. It's a German ale/kolsh yeast. An ale yeast that gives a clean,lager-like flavor according the manufacturer's description given to midwest. I bought 2 vials. The first beer is past initial fermentation now. It started at 64F & got through initial fermentation at 68F. The yeasts optimal range on midwest was also said to be 65-69F. Nailed it pretty good.

I'm pretty sure most Kolsch strains are ale strains, no? Hence why it's a "hybrid" beer?

Last time I used WLP029 I fermented around 60 and it came out great.

Chuck,

The lagering phase is not that picky for a Kolsch. If you can find a fridge to put it in, just try to get below 40F. 32-35F will be best for a Kolsch, but not necessary. If you've reached terminal gravity, I would start the chilling now.

Give it 3-4 weeks chilled. Kolsch yeast is a stuborn flocc'er, so you may have to add properly hydrated and warmed (not boiled) gelatin about halfway through the lagering. Then it will drop pretty well over the next 1-2 weeks. I've used Isinglass too with good results, just a hair more expensive.

I use WY2565, which ferments down in the mid to upper 50's. But your range sounds spot on for the warmer WLP029. I think you did a great ferment. And as I understood it, they are both hybrid ale yeasts.

I'm pretty sure most Kolsch strains are ale strains, no? Hence why it's a "hybrid" beer?

Last time I used WLP029 I fermented around 60 and it came out great.

Well,the only other kolsh yeast midwest listed goes from 55F-70F. But less or no fruity esters at lower temps. Funny how the WLP029 is listed under both ale & lager liquid yeasts. I wasn't sure they were all hybrids,since only one is listed under both headings. But only 029 is listed to like the temps I can give it at this point.
And since it finished initial fermentation yesterday,I thought the rest of the time till it finishes & clears would be like a diacityl rest? I let the temp go up a bit after initial fermentation died down. Never did a kolsh before. This is a hybrid beer,but not a kolsh,although it's supposed to be light. I've been trying to produce a light lager-like ale,& this yeast was the best choice at this time.

I'm fermenting a Kolsch style beer with WLP029 yeast right now. It's going strong at 65 in my sub-basement. I plan to let it sit there until it finishes, rack to secondary, and then let it lager for 4 weeks in a small chamber i built in the garage. I expect it to finish in the 4.3-4.5% range.

Latest posts

Back