2% C60 to 8% C60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
On my iPhone, please excuse my brevity.
What effects will an increase of crystal 60 from 2% to 8% have on the flavor profile of an IPA?

Horrible choice for an American IPA in large amounts since it can mute hop character and muddle those bright citrusy aromas. It will give you more color, but that's of a minor importance to flavor.

With past experience at everywhere between the 4-10% range, I will never again go with Crystal 60 for my IPAs. 2% won't be harsh, but 8% will seriously diminish hop character in an IPA.

I usually go with 0% crystal, or as much as 5-6% Crystal 10, 15, 30, or 40.... or 3-5% honey malt.

billl said:
It will add 4 times more sweetness and color.

Thanks for the info, Bill. I'm drinking a dfh60 clone that has 2% C60 and I have the same grain bill ready for another go along with some additional C60, so I was curious how the final product would change if I added in more C60. I think I'll stick with the original grain bill and play around with the mash steps and hop additions to see how the beer changes.
Cheers!

A cursory look at Ron Pattinson's site via the search function pulled up a couple of traditional British IPAs that utilized C75 in 4.25% to 6% of the grain bill. However, equally prevalent were simple grain bills comprised of only pale malt, or a mixture of 6 row and/or 2 row without any crystal. Invert sugar and caramel additions seemed popular.
Whitbread – 1941 – Strong IPA Crystal 75 = 6%

Whitbread – 1941 – Weak IPA Crystal 75 = 4.25%

Barclay Perkins – 1933 – KKKK Crystal 75 = 5.6%

Obviously, this is not an exhaustive researched list. But it does give me the courage to up the C60 to 5% for the IPA on deck!

Thanks again for the feedback, folks!

Back