Brewing adolescence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is this: what stuff have you done as you passed through your brewing adolescence that you now look back on and laugh?

I'm mostly posting this to laugh at myself. I started brewing just less than a year ago, and since May I'd say it's been a full-on obsession. I brewed just about 185 gallons in 2011. Since joining HBT I've scoured these forums literally every day. I've read six books, constantly tinker with old recipes, and search for new ideas. And sometimes I fool myself into thinking I know what I'm doing :)

Example? I've posted in a few threads about growing a pipeline and how that has helped me be more patient with my beers.

This afternoon I went to my beer fridge after getting home and decided to grab one of my deuces of THA clone I brewed in late August. I wasn't thrilled with it in the fall--too yeasty on the nose and palate. Now it's freaking UNBELIEVABLE! Yeast is gone, it's clean, perfectly bitter, and really drinkable. I had no idea my beers could be this good!

The point? I expect many of you have beers older than my entire brewing career by far. Can't believe I've been proud to let many of my brews go a whole month.. Now tasting this four month old brew, I feel like a goofball. I'm taking a few of all my beers and hiding them away so I can see how good they really are!

Everything I read said not to use it. Did I listen? Hell no. 1/2 oz into a 5 gallon batch of IPA. I still have bottles aging. After tasting the 1st one I thought I could revamp the recipe for an IIPA. I reduced the WW to 1/8oz into 5 gallons. The later creation is almost drinkable now (over a year later)...almost.

Best advice don't use it and if you do boil it for 15 minutes because it is to powerful to be added straight, unless you like the feeling of tannis grabbing the back of your throat like some WWE wrestler about to choke slam you...

That and the autosiphon is not a pump...

Zamial said:
...unless you like the feeling of tannis grabbing the back of your throat like some WWE wrestler about to choke slam you...

Love that description!

Zamial said:
That and the autosiphon is not a pump...

Ha! I've done that one, too. Thanks for sharing these! :)

Man I laughed the fist time I read WillyB's comment; Makes a better Quote though! I opened the valve on a keggle I made and over shot the bucket with a gallon of wort.... Forgot the dang elbow on the end. I have a heff thats around 6 months now and its really getting tasty. :eek::p

Back