Hopback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
I don't have a hopback, but I've been doing something that I figure should work just as well. Input???

I use a large medium mesh screen bag clipped to the side of the brew pot. At flame out I put all the scheduled hops in the bag and let it sit for 20 minutes or so with the lid on the pot at full temp. After that, I run the immersion chiller with the bag still in the pot making sure the chiller hits the bag while rotating it.

When I reach pitching temp, I pull the bag up and let it hang over the wort to drip dry and even use the chiller to squeeze (push against) the bag. I put the lid on the pot and let it continue to settle out and drip dry before siphoning the wort over to a couple of carboys.

Thoughts? I would think this method is as good as any.

Not really a hop back since that involves instant cooling. But, what you describe is what I've done with my flame out hop additions since I've been brewing. Works OK. I added a whirlpool to my kettle to make it more automated (as opposed to the stirring, which works great too). I also stopped using the bags (unless they are leaf hops), and just dump the pellets into the pot. Where are you in Harford anyway? I'm over in Colora in Cecil county.

I'm up near Whiteford/Pylesville area. What I described is not instant cooling. I drop the hops in and put the lid on and let it sit for about 20 minutes at full temp, then turn the chiller on. How far is Colora from the drag strip?

Yep, same thing. I whirlpool for 20 minutes before I chill. Colora is right outside Rising Siun, so I'm may 15 minutes away from the strip.

Back