Burner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since they both list "BG14" on the sites, I would say they are the same burner... :drunk: Been drinking already??
Of course its Sunday. Was just wondering why the large difference in price. Also thought the burner was 220k btu's and Northern Brewer has it listed at 100k btu's

The burners are cast by the same foundry, everyone else labels them with their own label. BTU output is more a function of the available gas pressure at the gas fitting on the burner, high pressure gas can move more air and make a larger flame than low pressure gas will. For all the 10 gallon batch size systems using kegs or pots, a burner with more than 100K output is a waste of gas. The only time the maximum output would ever be needed is when you heat cold water to strike temperature, all the other uses are at a medium to low level setting. If you wait to fire boil burner until boil kettle is full, you are missing the opportunity to set the boil burner at a medium setting as the kettle fills, and reach boiling as the last running's hit the boil kettle.

Also it appears that the Amazon price includes free shipping while agri supply is going to charge $12 bringing the price pretty close to each other.

I only need one regulator that will be hooked up to gas pipes. Will use needle valves to control each burner.

1. Verify that Agri supply still has them in stock.
2. Email/call these guys.
3. They price match, and only charge 10 dollars for shipping all three. I got all three burners for 100 bucks 3 weeks ago.

I only need one regulator that will be hooked up to gas pipes. Will use needle valves to control each burner.

Don't forget, there are some real world limits to what one regulator and BBQ size tank can power at one time. There are regs that can do it, but maybe not the ones that come with these burners. Even that stupid anti-free flow ball in the coupler can cause problems with just 2 burners going sometimes. Tank freeze is an issue also, but that can be mitigated by placing the tank in tub of water.

Don't forget, there are some real world limits to what one regulator and BBQ size tank can power at one time. There are regs that can do it, but maybe not the ones that come with these burners. Even that stupid anti-free flow ball in the coupler can cause problems with just 2 burners going sometimes. Tank freeze is an issue also, but that can be mitigated by placing the tank in tub of water.
What type of regulator would you recommend. Does the size of the propane tank make a difference on the freezing issue?

What type of regulator would you recommend. Does the size of the propane tank make a difference on the freezing issue?

Either a single high flow reg, or multiple cheap regs. The cutting torch regs are a place to start for high flow models. They are very high flow, usually. It is tough to find out which brand/model is truly superior, because there is a lot of brand loyalty in that crowd (think Ford vs. Chevy). Any of the more dominant brands should be fine= victor, smith, etc. Keep in mind, that most offer low priced re-badged regs, that are not much better than the any other low priced regs available.

For tanks, the larger the better, or a water bath. I am looking to convert to natural gas to eliminate running empty as one more thing to worry about on brew day. NG does limit the BTU's, but these burners are able to put out more than a keg sized pot can handle anyway.

The bayou regs are fine, for running single burners. There may be issues with running 3 or even 2 burners full bore at once. I have had problems with these types of regs not supplying enough flow in other situations. Some Bayou regs may be able to handle the flow for 3, but they change the supplier/model frequently so you never know.

I would use either 1 cheap adj pressure bayou type reg per burner, or 1 nice high flow welding torch type with a gauge for all three. The welding reg needs to be a high flow model- there should be a btu-cfm converter on the web. It takes some research at one of the reg manuf sites like victor, or smith, or ?, to figure out which models have the flow capacity at normal LP pressures. There is nothing special about a propane reg, just combustible vs. non-combustible. An acetylene reg should work. Pressure range only needs to max out at 30psi or so. Normal is 11psi, but you can go higher depending on the burner.

This has been done before. A thread search on HBT should turn up something.

Back