Chimay Cheese - Tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
Just saw Chimay brand beer cheese in one of the nicer supermarkets in town. Unfortunately, a small wedge was over $9. It was priced at $26/lb. It is a soft cheese with a nice looking rind on it.

The Chimay label says "Met Bier" but the supermarket-printed label on the wedge just had the standard cheese ingredients with the addition of "hops". Had to be a misprint.

Is this stuff any good?

Yes it is good. Two of the big beer place's here in Philly 'Monk's' and 'The Belgian Cafe' both owned by the same company put this on one of their burgers. It is pretty good. Haven't had the cheese 'raw' so to speak, but on a burger it is top notch.

I've had two of the Chimay cheeses. I don't know if they were mishandled, but they were some of the most awful cheeses I've ever had. :( Stank like garbage and tasted just as bad.

I've had two of the Chimay cheeses. I don't know if they were mishandled, but they were some of the most awful cheeses I've ever had. :( Stank like garbage and tasted just as bad.

No offense, but are you a fan of strong, ripened cheese?

Hmm ok, thanks for the input. I may have to drop 9 bones and give it a try. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't great, clonefarmer. Hopefully I will have better luck.

Also, MalFet - do you have to rub it in? ;)

So I thought I'd add my $.02, since I just got back from the Boise Co-op with a half pound slab of Chimay Met Bier, for just a tad over $9.

I love the complexity and richness of Chimay beer, so I thought I'd try this. I'm eating it on my favorite Carr's Poppy & Sesame crackers.

It is an incredibly potent, ripe cheese. It has notes of what I consider a sense of ammonia that hit the back of the throat, but it is delicious. In that respect, it is similar to the effect of eating Shropshire.

Delicious, and worth a splurge on special occasions. Not for the faint of heart!

Andy

Back