Strategizing for my Keezer build (NEED HELP BAD)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Ok so I am preparing for my first keezer build, and I have tons of questions. After combing through numerous threads on the topic I still am lost on some subjects. Any answers and other insight would be great.

Background: I’m going to be doing a 5.0 chest freezer dual tower tap conversion.

1) Best place to score a duel tap tower?
2) Should I go with perlick faucets or will the standard tower assembly be fine?
3) For the bar tops of the keezers how are ya’ll adhering the wood to the freezer?
4) What is the best way to encase the entire keezer to make it look good? IE I looked at using linoleum flooring squares as well as staining wood. Are there any concerns with over heating the unit if it is encased?
5) Should I do a beer pop top ensemble with epoxy for the bar top? (I have been saving them for years) or would it be easier to lay tile or again linoleum vinyl type material that looks like tile?
6) If I go with the beer pop tops and expoxy any advice from someone that has already tried this venture would be great.

This is all I can think of for now, but I may have more questions later. Thanks again for the help…this form is amazing. I’ll post pictures once I begin, but right now I’m just trying to figure everything out.

Oh ya and by the way, I suck at all handy man work so this will be a first for me, and I will have to recruit a buddy. I think I inherited the problem from my dad…he doesn’t even own a hammer.  So the more specific the better.

I don't have a keezer, but I can help you with a couple of your questions...

1. I think the cheapest place I've seen dual tap towers is on beveragefactory.com.

2. Definately go with the perlicks. I've broken a few of my tap handles on the standard faucets because they don't get used for a few days and then get so sticky that they won't open. I have one kegerator with standard taps and another with perlicks...I love the perlicks. I have to take my standard taps off everytime I change a keg and clean them because they're so sticky.

5&6. I wouldn't suggest the pop top idea. My bar counter is done the same way with various coasters, caps, bottle openers, etc. I put a bunch of beer memorabilia in it. It took forever to build. The resin that I used took a long time to cure, plus when you're building it, you can only use a little at a time or it will dry out. It's a PITA to get smooth and it chips easily. It looks great, and I think it was worth the effort, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone who doesn't have a bit of experience working with the stuff.

Having built a keezer, I can answer at least #2: Yes, by all means, even if it's more expensive, buy the Perlicks! They really are worth it.

1) Best place to score a duel tap tower? Kegconnections.com. Great place to buy keg equipment.

2) Should I go with perlick faucets or will the standard tower assembly be fine? Yes, by all means.

3) For the bar tops of the keezers how are ya’ll adhering the wood to the freezer? See my build here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keezer-build-another-one-way-169440/

4) What is the best way to encase the entire keezer to make it look good? IE I looked at using linoleum flooring squares as well as staining wood. Are there any concerns with over heating the unit if it is encased? See my build here, will give one option: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keezer-build-another-one-way-169440/

5) Should I do a beer pop top ensemble with epoxy for the bar top? (I have been saving them for years) or would it be easier to lay tile or again linoleum vinyl type material that looks like tile? That’s what I really wanted to do, but couldn’t get enough good caps. I'm using formica.

6) If I go with the beer pop tops and expoxy any advice from someone that has already tried this venture would be great. Really cool one here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-bar-build-tracking-my-progress-here-121928/

JMHO...

Ok so I am preparing for my first keezer build, and I have tons of questions. After combing through numerous threads on the topic I still am lost on some subjects. Any answers and other insight would be great.

Background: I’m going to be doing a 5.0 chest freezer dual tower tap conversion.

2) Should I go with perlick faucets or will the standard tower assembly be fine?
3) For the bar tops of the keezers how are ya’ll adhering the wood to the freezer?
4) What is the best way to encase the entire keezer to make it look good? IE I looked at using linoleum flooring squares as well as staining wood. Are there any concerns with over heating the unit if it is encased?
5) Should I do a beer pop top ensemble with epoxy for the bar top? (I have been saving them for years) or would it be easier to lay tile or again linoleum vinyl type material that looks like tile?
6) If I go with the beer pop tops and expoxy any advice from someone that has already tried this venture would be great.

This is all I can think of for now, but I may have more questions later. Thanks again for the help…this form is amazing. I’ll post pictures once I begin, but right now I’m just trying to figure everything out.

Oh ya and by the way, I suck at all handy man work so this will be a first for me, and I will have to recruit a buddy. I think I inherited the problem from my dad…he doesn’t even own a hammer.  So the more specific the better.

I just went through the same thing this winter... here's what I found, maybe it'll be of some use to you.

I found some of the best deals at www.kegworks.com.

I bought faucets instead of towers. I didn't want to have to worry about opening the lid with a tower on it.

I would think some sort of super durable glue, maybe for wood flooring?

My freezer was pretty rough when I got it. So, I painted my freezer with appliance paint. I started with spray paint, but found I got a much better coat with the roller form. I used black, but they make a variety of other colors.

That would be pretty cool looking, but I agree with the others that it would be a pain in the rump.​

Good luck with the project! It'll be great fun

My end result:

Im starting to gather my parts to put my together. I am going with a collar design, and want some type of top cover also. But it my head I cant find a reason to re-attach the lid. The only obvious answer if efficiency of the cooler. Is there something else I am missing? My plan is to hinge the collar and build my bartop right on to the collar. I'll use a couple inches of insulation under the bartop and I have a leftover piece of thin plastic (like a shower wall covering) that will go in to cover the foam and minimize the chance of condensation messing up my bartop from below.

Mike

not sure what the other prices are, but I've been looking at learntobrew.com at their kits.
upgrade a 2 tower kit to perlicks, comes with kegs, tank regulator.... everything you need, under $350. looks not bad to me.

As for chest freezers, i want to do the same thing, but alot of the ones I've seen have the hot coils on more than just the back surface (but they're hidden inside the casing). in that case, covering it might not be a good idea. I was planning on building a small bar and putting the freezer under it. in your case, rather than paneling the freezer itself, you might build a box that the freezer can sit inside of, with enough clearance around all sides, and maybe an exhaust fan, but thats only if all sides dissipate heat. If you run it for a while, and only the back side is warm to the touch, or the coils are expoesd, then glue the hell out if it ;-)

not sure what the other prices are, but I've been looking at learntobrew.com at their kits.
upgrade a 2 tower kit to perlicks, comes with kegs, tank regulator.... everything you need, under $350. looks not bad to me.

As for chest freezers, i want to do the same thing, but alot of the ones I've seen have the hot coils on more than just the back surface (but they're hidden inside the casing). in that case, covering it might not be a good idea. I was planning on building a small bar and putting the freezer under it. in your case, rather than paneling the freezer itself, you might build a box that the freezer can sit inside of, with enough clearance around all sides, and maybe an exhaust fan, but thats only if all sides dissipate heat. If you run it for a while, and only the back side is warm to the touch, or the coils are expoesd, then glue the hell out if it ;-)

here's their kits for homebrew...
http://www.learntobrew.com/store/category/fdvc/-_HB_Tower.html

Back