Built my reloading bench...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neunelfer

Reaction score
Took me about a day and a half and about $100 in materials (obviously not including the reloading equipment). I have been wanting to do this for the past month but it has been storming, and the location of my bench should cue you into my garage being extremely packed. :drunk:

Anyways... I'm sure we have some shooters and maybe some reloaders on the board, just wanted to share what I built. :rockin:

ReloadingBench.jpg

Very nice. Do you have plans you could share? I could use a bench like that for electronics work.

Dave

Looks real nice! A reloading setup is on my one of these days list. I almost got set up to reload 300WSM cause it's $2.00 a squeeze. Then I realized I really don't care to shoot it more than I need to for checking my sites and drop what ever it is in the cross hairs :D.

Whats your aim in reloading? Shoot more for the same cash, accuracy, or just for fun?

Is that a Rock Crusher? I've been looking to go up from the ol' Lee I have and that one seems to be a good value. Does it cycle without a hitch? Love sitting down with a brew and casing 300-400 9mm!

i reload my .243 since 55gr ballistic tips are extremely expensive when bought commercially and they really shoot like **** in my rem700 anyway.

nice setup---i used an old commercial door as my work table top mounted on a couple old kitchen cabinets. unfortunatly my reloading setup is also my brewing storage area.

Nice!

I got a sweet deal on a Craftsman bench, but had to replace the top to use the Rock-chucker on my .375H&H. I reload for that, my .280 Rem, 22-250, and my son's 6mm.

There's the same zen in brewing as reloading... measuring the powder, sizing, etc.

Is that a Rock Crusher? I've been looking to go up from the ol' Lee I have and that one seems to be a good value. Does it cycle without a hitch? Love sitting down with a brew and casing 300-400 9mm!

Yep. I have not used it yet, but my friend who has been reloading since long before I was born recommended it highly.

nice setup---i used an old commercial door as my work table top mounted on a couple old kitchen cabinets. unfortunatly my reloading setup is also my brewing storage area.

:drunk:

Yeah, my homebrew gear spills over into the rest of the garage... well when you add in BBQ gear, shooting gear, hunting gear and fishing gear... ugh, my garage is a mess.

There's the same zen in brewing as reloading... measuring the powder, sizing, etc.

:mug:

Nice bench!

I used to shoot league trap and skeet. I don't even want to guess how many shells I reloaded through the old MEC. I just about wore it out but saved tons of money doing it.

But, family and other commitments happened. Maybe in a couple of years when the kids are older I can start in again. I miss it a lot!

i keep looking to find an old mec for cheap:D i'm sick of paying $16 or more a box for non-toxic shot for waterfowl. i have a couple really bad-ass loads for 12g that i'm dying to get back into my gun. the fellow i got the recipe from moved out of state and i can't get him to build me shells anymore:mad:

i keep looking to find an old mec for cheap:D i'm sick of paying $16 or more a box for non-toxic shot for waterfowl. i have a couple really bad-ass loads for 12g that i'm dying to get back into my gun. the fellow i got the recipe from moved out of state and i can't get him to build me shells anymore:mad:

I haven't even looked into reloading shot... it looks expensive though. I have a bunch of lead #7 shot (handful of cases of it) thankfully I can't shoot it anywhere in California. :cross:

Since it's a "stuff I've built thread"... here is my BBQ side table that got a little warped from all the rain (so much for "exterior" plywood):

Table1.jpg

i keep looking to find an old mec for cheap

I sold my MEC Sizemaster with 2 charge bars, tons of powder bushings, a bag of shot and about 3 lbs of Red Dot powder for $75. Of course, this was probably about 2002. I figured when I got back into it, I would start over with a new progressive rig.

I haven't even looked into reloading shot... it looks expensive though.

When I quit reloading, AA shells where ~$7.50 - $8.00 a box at the big outdoor stores. I could reload for about 1/2 that. I'd guess I paid for my reloader several times over.

Ive got a LEE Pro1000. Can load 500 rounds / min. (.40S&W)
Trouble here is because of the continual trouble in Africa with wars/massacres etc there are arms embargos. Its almost impossible to buy ammo and when you can get it its FMJ junk.
Also the goverment is clamping down huge on gun ownership which to be honest, is a relief. Its been like the wild west here the last few years.

Trouble here is because of the continual trouble in Africa with wars/massacres etc there are arms embargos. Its almost impossible to buy ammo and when you can get it its FMJ junk.
Also the goverment is clamping down huge on gun ownership which to be honest, is a relief. Its been like the wild west here the last few years.

I'm sure that will keep guns out of the criminals hands.:confused:

i want to reload 7.62x54 russians.

I don't think I'd reload military ammo... but I'm sure some do.

But you can still purchase brass, projectiles, primers and powder?

We can buy those items with difficuilty - cast lead heads or FMJ rounds (we used to refer to this ammo as "range ammo" - carry ammo for me is 115g corbon/SXT or some other hollow point.

onthekeg - sure, ultimately nothing will stop a criminal getting its hands on a firearm. AK47 has never been legal but they are a dime a dozen here. For that matter if a criminal can't get a gun its going to stab you/hit you over the head with a 1/2 brick but ultimately extreme times call for extreme measures and the more control the better.
Everyone has had to reapply for their firearm license. If you've got a criminal record for a violent crime your license will be revoked (that means most of our parlement can't own a gun ;))
How will that help ? There are police road blocks daily. Cars and people are searched. If anyone is found with an unlicensed gun they get locked up - most violent crime here is committed by unlicensed weapons.
Police are shooting criminals daily. There have been several incidents where multiple criminals (upto 11 at a time) have been killed while in the progress of armed robberies.

But don't let that put you off South Africa - its still a great place :mug:

Just don't get shot, raped or stabbed and you'll be fine :)
Our crime stats are shocking but, touching wood, Im still alive and kicking.
It sounds worse than it is - very few tourists come to harm.
The Soccer World Cup 2010 is coming up in March - will be interesting.

For sure. Getting a gun in California is a walk in the park compared to here. It can take a year to get a license. Thats IF you get it - if you already have a gun its unlikely unless you have good reason. Other reasons for license refusal - criminal record, previous gun stolen etc etc.
But think of it this way - SA has one of the highest murder rates - most by shooting.

I just bought an BIG old desk, mounted the chucker to that and then got a set of cabinets to set on the desk. I reloaded quite afew rounds, including:

220 swift (LOTS and LOTS of these,, had about 2000 rounds of these)
221 fireball
44 magnum
and few others.

I left everything behind in Minnesota when I moved here (Aus) because it was WAY too hard to bring them with me. My dad still has all of my guns and all the reloading equipment as well.

Man I loved that hobby, but it's just too hard to own guns here...

Back