Deschutes The Abyss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtduffy

Reaction score
I just had Deschutes brewery's The Abyss for the first time (on tap no less) and I must say that it is a great beer, especially on a snowy night here in Reno Nevada.

Anyone else fond of this beer?

The 2009 version? No, I'm not.

Not yet, that is.

I tasted ash. That's about it. Ash.

But the 2008 was amazing, tasted on the same night in a vertical tasting at the Deschutes brewery. So I have great hope for 2009 - enough that I bought a case of it to set aside to try once the brew has some time to calm down and let the flavors marry.

My wife bought me a bottle of 2009 a couple weeks ago. Thought I'd try it out tonight. Literally 2 seconds after popping the cap off I noticed the "best after" date of Nov. 2010. I could only manage to drink half of it. Stout is my favorite style, but this was hard to swallow.

Someone convince me to buy another bottle and let it sit for a year.

They had it on tap at the pub I love Abyss its just so damn expensive in a bottle. I would have had more then one if I wasn't worried about driving home.

Absolutely love the beer, have not sampled since last winter on a snow day from work.

It left that much of an impression.

This was a huge 'meh' beer for me. Maybe my bottle needed more age (sampled a 2008 in mid 2009) but compared to Old Rasputin XII, Dark Lord, or BA Boris The Crusher, this was unimpressive. A good beer yes, but not deserving of the hype. It's like listening to a Wilco album when Kid A is just as accessible.

I don't know what year this keg was. Next time I'm at the pub I'll have to ask.

I agree there was a little "Ash" after taste, but it wasn't unpleasant at all.

I had a little of the 2009 the other night. I thought it was good. Never had Abyss before. I'm hoping to brew a clone in January.

Back