HOPS: Cascade anywhere close to Cluster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
Okay,
I have an extract recipe that calls for .5 oz. of Cascade for dry hopping.
I have an ounce of Cluster in the freezer. Never used Cluster before and was wondering if the substitution would be a mistake.
Thanks!

According to a hop sub. chart, subs for cluster are Galena, Eroica. So no, cascade won't be ideal. What type of beer is it?

Okay,
I have an extract recipe that calls for .5 oz. of Cascade for dry hopping.
I have an ounce of Cluster in the freezer. Never used Cluster before and was wondering if the substitution would be a mistake.
Thanks!

I think the recipe calls for cascade because cascade is a dual porpose hop meaning it works good for dry hopping and bittering. With that said cluster is a dual porpose hop also I say give it a shot it's only a half ounce and wont make much of a difference.

Can you tell us the hop schedule used in the brew?
And if it was an AHS recipe, dry hops should have been included.

Yes, the cluster will be fine. It has a citrusy flavor like cascade. Cluster is a little more grapefruity than the citrus from cascade. There are so many other hops in the recipe that it will be fine.

I wrote the recipe so I think it will be ok.

Forrest

Thanks guys!
Forrest, I just PM'ed you.
BTW... it is looking quite tasty!

Back