kitchenaid kgma grain mill attachment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clskinsfan

Reaction score
Ok so my wife has one of those huge monstrous kitchenaid mixers. i have found an attachment grain mill and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I have read the reviews and it seems to be rated pretty high. They are supposed to be very adjustable and I love to make fresh bread as well. Any experience with one out there?

KitchenAid Grain Mill Attachment - Model KGMA at Sears.com

THere's been some discussions around about this for some time...it even popped up on a recent basic brewing podcast. But nothing definitive. I think becasue the mixers are so damn expensive to begin with...

But some people do evidently use it according to the basic brewing podcast

Hopefully some people will come out of the woodwork and post there experiences using them.

I checked it out for my wife's mixer, but the hopper on that mill is about 1 cup capacity and is designed to make flour. For about the same price you can get an actual roller mill that is designed for brewing.

It wasn't a hard decision for me. I bought a Barley Crusher 7lb and I'm super happy with it.

Well, I've never tried it, but I clicked on the link, and looked at the specs
"Overall color - gray"
Not really very helpful unless you are into color coordinated brewing.

-a.

I have one and use it frequently... but not for brewing grains.
It works very well for flour, as that was it's design.

Pick up a decent mill, a half-decent Makita cordless drill and have at it is my sentiment for brewing purposes.

I was looking at the KitchenAid mixer as a gift for SWMBO for Xmas and thought the same thing everyone else was thinking. I then clicked on the demo video and it even says that it can be used for brewing. They even show a pint of beer in the vid. It made me laugh because you can obviously see that it will take you 6 years to grind 10 pounds of malt with it. It's a great concept and is fully adjustable and they show it crushing grain fine and course. I wonder if you could rig some kind of hopper to it...

I wouldn't want to use it simply for the fact that it'd be inside (unless you took the mixer and everything outside I guess). I do all of my milling outside because of the flour/dust that it creates.

I haven't thought about something like that, but for the capacity, I use a tractor diesel fuel funnel (hasn't touched the fuel). Can hold about 10#. Works great. Feeds into a 3 roller mill. I don't think one of those kitchen mills could get a satisfactory crush, but haven't tried.

Back