Ever get the wrong grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons of Haus Ale on Sunday and I'm thinking it's coming out a bit darker than normal. I thought I bought 4 lbs of Crystal 10L (I used 1#), but it seems like it has a more redish hue to it. I'm thinking I didn't get Crystal 10L. I'll have to compare some pics in a few weeks.

It's like what the late Bob Ross, the painting guy from the old PBS show used to say...

"There are no mistakes, just happy accidents."

It'll be tasty nonetheless!

EdWort said:
I brewed 10 gallons of Haus Ale on Sunday and I'm thinking it's coming out a bit darker than normal. I thought I bought 4 lbs of Crystal 10L (I used 1#), but it seems like it has a more redish hue to it. I'm thinking I didn't get Crystal 10L.

I made the exact same mistake...and it was kind of your fault! I was chatting with the LHBS owner while weighing out the grain for my pale ale. Specifically, we were discussing the bottles of Apfelwein that I brought to share with him and the other customers in the shop! On a previous trip, he had asked what I used all the dextrose and Montrachet for. Anyhow, I got distracted and reached for the 30L bin instead of the 20L.

Although I immediately realized the error, I was measuring it all into the same bag as my 2-row, so I just proceeded to brew. While it obviously came out somewhat darker, there was no substantial difference in the taste, beyond the normal batch-to-batch variation.

BTW, everybody loved the Apfelwein, so you are forgiven! ;)

I was picking up at the LHBS and the owner had forgotten what grains he had put in the hopper. His wife walked out and said "I am not having any part of this train wreck." So I named the beer TrainWreck, and it is really good, but I don't know whats in it.

Back to the point.... it will still be beer!:mug:

I have changed up the grains in the recipe a bunch of times. As long as you got 2# of something that can covnert itself and and half a pound of anything to gowith the base malt you are good to go. Search on "Countdown Ale" if you are really worried....Slodg!

I did a couple Orfy recipes with a cocolate rye instead of chocolate malt...still two awesome beers

mrk305 said:
...So I named the beer TrainWreck, and it is really good, but I don't know whats in it.

Ah, so I'm not alone!

I named my first AG beer "Train Wreck" because of the maddening number of problems I had brewing it. It didn't actually come out bad, just......interesting......

Hagen said:
It's like what the late Bob Ross, the painting guy from the old PBS show used to say...

"There are no mistakes, just happy accidents."

It'll be tasty nonetheless!
" and I grab my mighty brush and I put a tree here.... "

I loved that show as a kid.

I was halfway through grinding before I realized the bag of chocolate malt I ordered was was accidentally replaced with chocolate wheat malt by the supplier. No worries though, should be an interesting stout.

Im brewing the Haus PA and another Haus PA 20L with 2#'s rye, I will try to get some pics up to compare color.

Poindexter said:
I have changed up the grains in the recipe a bunch of times. As long as you got 2# of something that can covnert itself and and half a pound of anything to gowith the base malt you are good to go. Search on "Countdown Ale" if you are really worried....Slodg!

I don't think Ed is really worried. He's done this before!

It won't be quite as smooth, but I would not lose any sleep.

At least you shouldn't have issues with a stuck sparge. That's an assload of black malt. Is that a 5 gallon recipe?

Meh, I've just plain old made a mistake and dumped a full pound of crystal something or other in the mill when it should have been a 1/2 pound. Still ends up beer. :p

Yep, I made a wheat with 4.5Lbs of carawheat instead of regular wheat and it turned out ok in my opinion. I like wheats, but am not a huge wheat beer drinker, however my friends who love wheats loved it, and they were more than happy to take some of it off my hands to help get rid of it :D

HELP ME @ THIS THREAD

Would 2.5# of HUSKED black malt make a difference in an AG recipe?
VS
2.5 # of DE-husked black malt [carafa II weyerman]

I THINK I WAS SENT THE WRONG GRAIN!!!

EDIT: Sorry 15 gallon batch...

It won't be quite as smooth, but I would not lose any sleep.

At least you shouldn't have issues with a stuck sparge. That's an assload of black malt. Is that a 5 gallon recipe?

I was checking my records, and I did let that beer sit a few weeks before I carbed it in a corney. I was just so ancious to know if I got it right that as soon as I reached terminal gravity on such a low gravity beer I put some in a 2 liter bottle and carbed it quick so I could sample it.

Do some grain or burn tanins "Settle out"?:drunk:

I think I put a half pound of black patent in my last brown ale, not chocolate malt I thought. It's not my fault. The bags had to be miss labeled. I intentionally used a whole pound of what was supposed to be black patent in a stout and it was remarkably mellow. This brown is a monster.

Back