American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you do this as AG? Mine was a partial mash and beersmith said it should be 1.086. i wonder what the discrepancy is between our programs...

I brewed this last week with some minor changes. Should I rack to secondary? Its been in primary for 7 days now. If so, should the oak chips stay behind when I transfer?

I brewed this last week with some minor changes. Should I rack to secondary? Its been in primary for 7 days now. If so, should the oak chips stay behind when I transfer?

I brewed this about a month ago and racked to secondary after about a week onto the dry hops and added some new oak and it turned out great so far.

Poured my first glass today. Still needs to carb a little longer, but this is good stuff.

Could be the recipe. Could be the fact that I swamp coolered it to keep fermentation cool this time. Could be the fact it was my first all grain. But it sure is tasty.

Tested this one along with a few others on some experienced brewers I met last weekend and the Fresh Squeezed was the winner without a doubt. I still have a case or so but I'm going to make another batch this week.
:mug:

Gone already but brewed another batch yesterday and maxed out my volumes. Hit numbers almost perfectly and can't wait for some.:ban:

Brewed this beer and substituted Citra for Chinook to add some pineapple flavor, and it was a glorious beer. Won me my first medal in homebrew competition. Thanks for sharing! !

Brewed this beer and substituted Citra for Chinook to add some pineapple flavor, and it was a glorious beer. Won me my first medal in homebrew competition. Thanks for sharing! !

No worries!! Congrats.

Brewing this soon! Looks fantastic. One question though:

I don't have any Chinook, but I do have plenty of Citra and Zythos. I was thinking of just subbing 1:1 Zythos for Chinook. Zythos is supposed to be a citrusy blend of hops and I think that it will be appropriate here.

Also, I was planning on adding 0.5# of Melanoidin malt since I have this on hand and this may be a good recipe to use it in, any problems in these changes that can be seen??

Thanks!

There is a brewery in Meadville, PA (I see you're from PA) that has a FANTASTIC IPA called Fresh Squeezed. You aren't by chance John, are you?

I'm thinking of adding Galaxy hops to this. Should I just replace all of one hop? Any help would be appreciated...

So I'm finally getting around to brewing this bad boy this weekend (tomorrow I hope!) and had a few questions on my subs.

As I said above I have no Chinook but I have Zythos and Citra. I am thinking of subbing the Citra for the Chinook as Mtitus did above, except for the first addition. I have heard that Citra can be a little "catty" when used as a first bittering hop for that long so I was thinking of the Zythos blend for the 90min bittering sub. Should be good I think.

Any problems seen subbing a little less C60, say 1#, for the C40? I don't have any C40 but have quite a bit of C60 and C120 for other recipes coming down the line. Still on the fence about adding a bit of Melanoidin malt since I have this on hand too.

Lastly, I know that US-05 is clean and tried and true in this recipe, but I have some yeasts that I havent used before just sitting and waiting for me. What do you think of: Wyeast 1272 Am. Ale or Wyeast 1450 Denny Conn. as a sub? I'll probably just end up using US-05 for the clean and bright flavor that I get with that, but I would be interested to see what the malt-forward 1450 may do to the beer. 1272 is described as, "ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character", which sounds right up the alley of the 'Fresh Squeezed IPA'!!

Sorry for the long post, just drank some espresso and very amped to get this brew bubblin away. Thanks all!!

Citra is completely different than chinook and will give you a totally different beer (maybe a better beer, citra rarely disappoints).

C60 is a bit much but you can try it, I'm sure it will be good.

Do whatever seems okay with the yeast, half is voodoo magic and half is marketing anyway.

Thanks for the reply! Going with citra and Zythos and will update. Found some C40 in ly bin so that's a go too. I also thought about it and will just stick to the US 05. I'll save the 1272 for something else.

Should make a good beer! Thanks!

Heating up the strike water for this now. Doing a 5 gallon batch due to the limitations with my 8.5 gal boil kettle. Can't wait, should be delicious...thanks for the recipe.

Getting close to kicking the keg on this one and will definitely be brewing this up again soon! I stayed true to the recipe, except I threw in about an extra once of Citra along the way in the boil kettle and dryhopped with an additional 1/2 ounce of Citra. Here's a pick below... really beautiful color. Don't mind the lack of head, I just waited too long to snap the photo - it's there!

One thing that I've really noticed is how the oak seems to be coming out much more now that the hops have begun to fade out. The oak is by no means overpowering, just more noticable now. Still really smooth though.

mason fresh squeezed ipa.jpg

so i just finished brewing this!
my local store had everything except the amarillo hops. (i subbed pacific jade)
it's now sitting in a bucket with the oak cubes and yeast.
after i had initially cooled it with my coil i gave it a few minutes to settle. which kinda never happened. a lot of junk made it into the primary. oh well
i ended up at about 1073 with a lil less than 5.5 gallons. at this point im hoping 5 makes it into the keg.
cannot wait to taste this beer!!!

This stuff is good. You'll like it! Now you've reminded me that I need to make another batch of this soon...

The oak definitely a round spiciness to the party and is good. Think I'm going to split the batch and leave it out of half to see exactly what the difference is...

i just moved this into secondary and gravity was about 1026 :( shouldve given it more than 7 days but it was holding my bucket hostage!
smelled amazing though!!

i let a friend of a friend taste this tonight. she's a bmc drinker typically, but sometimes likes real beers.
here's what she drunk snapchatted me as her reaction:
164471_10151271495668806_1408055780_n.jpg

lol, it came out great though. i'll post a pic tomorrow

At 1.026, no wonder they are saying it's sweet.

I took a gravity reading of mine, since there is still activity and it's at 1.012. I ended up fermenting a little cooler than normal (57-59) so I think warming it up is releasing a lot of CO2 in suspension. If it hasn't changed tonight when I check it again, I will have 10 gallons kegged up Friday!

Holy crap! I never do someone else's recipe but this one sounded too good to be true. Thanks! I don't know how it will all end up, but the first gravity pull at 5 days was unbelievable! Totally orangy and delicious! Started at 1.070 and day 5 was 1.014...gonna let it drop to 1.012 before I dry hop. I thought the 10.5 oz hop bill would be too much but again, it is phenomenal! Side note...I added .25 Citra at 30.

Thanks man!

Matt

Brewed this yesterday - thanks for the recipe. I had to make one substitution due to the LHBS being out of Amarillo so I went with Citra. Hopefully that won't change it too much. Let me know your thoughts on this (anyone), most of it goes in the dry hop so its not too late to go with something else.

I had a hard time resisting the temptation to adjust the hop schedule to make it so that I wouldn't have any partial bags of hops left. Also I hesitated long and hard before putting the oak chips into the fermentor. But in both cases I wanted to be true to the original recipe, at least this first time :).

Looking forward to the finished product - I'll be sure to post a review.

Cheers!

I'm planning on brewing this on the weekend. Couple of questions:

* Is the consensus still to add the oak chips at the same time the yeast is pitched? I am a little concerned about adding them before the yeast has taken hold due to possible infection issues?

* Over here (NZ) hop pellets come in 100g (3.5oz) packets. I don't brew very often so I'd like to avoid having left over hops. If I was going to leave out one of the 4x hop varieties, which would you suggest? Of course the other option is to just dry hop with the leftovers - I'll have about 30g (just over 1oz) of each left over.

I'm planning on brewing this on the weekend. Couple of questions:

* Is the consensus still to add the oak chips at the same time the yeast is pitched? I am a little concerned about adding them before the yeast has taken hold due to possible infection issues?

* Over here (NZ) hop pellets come in 100g (3.5oz) packets. I don't brew very often so I'd like to avoid having left over hops. If I was going to leave out one of the 4x hop varieties, which would you suggest? Of course the other option is to just dry hop with the leftovers - I'll have about 30g (just over 1oz) of each left over.

Tough choice. If I were going to leave one hop out of this recipe, might be the cascade. Then again a couple extra flameout/dry hops never hurt anyone.

They are oak CUBES, not chips.
Anyways, there is no risk of infection if you boil them in water for a few minutes. Using chips will give this beer a lot more of an oak character than the cubes when used only during a few week primary.

Anyways, there is no risk of infection if you boil them in water for a few minutes. Using chips will give this beer a lot more of an oak character than the cubes when used only during a few week primary.

Very true. I hate the flavor of chips and never use them. I use spirals which is what I had on hand so I threw some left over medium plus french oak from a big stout. I doubt I will get much flavor from it in the short time but we will see! I love oak so heavy or not its fine with me. I let it go for a few extra days, 12 in primary then did a test and it got down to 1.016 so I tossed in the dry hops with a extra .5oz cascade and .5oz amarillo because I had extra and was worried about the yeast scrubbing some of the alpha acids. (This is only the second time I have ever not used secondary and other brew was a porter) so not very confident about dry hopping in primary but i didn't want to lose the oak. The hydrometer sample before dry hops tasted amazing and I cantttt wait to get this bad boy keg'ed and carbed. I think im going to give it 6 days on the hops and give it a try to see how she is doing... Thanks for the recipe!

Great. I screwed up on two accounts. Oh well live and learn. I think I'll move it to secondary for dry hop to get it off the chips.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Decided not to be a cheapskate and to include the Cascade for maximum citrus. We've only really got one home brew store in my city worth mentioning. The closet thing they've got to oak cubes are these: http://thebrewhouse.co.nz/spirits/bourbon-chunks-0 "A special blend of authentic American Bourbon barrel chunks". Do you reckon better off leaving them out entirely?

Those bourbon barrel chunks dont look toasted to me. I am not sure what kind of character they will give. The instructions say to soak them in liquor. I am thinking most of the flavor given is going to mimic the liquor rather than the oak. I would not use them in this beer.

I still gave my spirals a short bourbon bath. I have let spirals sit in bourbon for 3+ weeks before and can barely pick it up. If u soak on bourbon for a day or so for sanitation purposes I highly doubt u will taste it in the finished product.

Well, brewing this as we speak. Decided to leave out the oak because I couldn't get anything I felt comfortable adding to beer. Also had to substitute the Chinook for Columbus. Will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Back