Homebrewing too? (Kombucha)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't sound any grosser than beer... when looked at from a microbiological point of view. However, I don't like tea, so I'll stick to beer:)

i've been attempting to drink some all afternoon... it's different to say the least, i bet with a little research i could cultivate this tea into more more of it...

but i dont know if i'm that adventurous.

the_bird said:
Is your friend the guy that James Spencer interviewed recently? I remember them talking about this stuff.... and having ZERO desire to replicate what he was making... :D

Yes he is, he doesn't like it enough to continue making it either. I haven't tried it, and I don't think he's planning anymore 'all Kombucha' batches.

At least it's not Jenkem.

Sounds intereresting, but I don't think that I'd ever brew it. I wouldn't mind trying a sample though.

ohiobrewtus said:
At least it's not Jenkem.

Sounds intereresting, but I don't think that I'd ever brew it. I wouldn't mind trying a sample though.

Well, I'll make up some sweetened tea, pore it through my gym socks, bottle it, and send it right over to ya:mug:

isn't acetobacter the stuff that turns wine into vinegar?

I wouldn't mind putting some seat tea in a 1 gallon jug with some Saccharomyces cerevisiae and seeing what happens.

z987k said:
isn't acetobacter the stuff that turns wine into vinegar?

I wouldn't mind putting some seat tea in a 1 gallon jug with some Saccharomyces cerevisiae and seeing what happens.

I was thinking that too. I'm not crazy about mold or bacteria....... Unless of course we start talking about cheese. Mmmmmm I love me some cheese.

About 15 years ago, one of my kid's babysitter used to make that stuff at my house. I never could get up the nerve to try it.

landhoney said:
Its like selling yeast, nothing illegal right?

I suppose if its just the culture....but yeast/culture or not it just seemed like an item that would fall under prohibited items on craigslist....I guess I can check

Back