Need advice for a motor to drive my grain mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After using my 4 amp drill to run my barely crusher today to crush 100 lbs of malt for my mamouth brew session this week I decided I needed to ask if anyone has a recommendation of a motor type (or better drill) that I can use to turn my barely crusher rod. I tried searching through some old threads on this topic but all of the listings for possible motors have expired.

How much are you looking to spend? I prefer gear motors over using pullies and shives but either would work. This one could work if its in your budget.

You can use a lovejoy coupler. Just find one that has the right size holes for the motor and mill shaft. It makes it easy to adapt to different size shafts. As for that drill you woulnt be able to directly connect it to your mill. The sds bits have a set of keyways in the shaft that match up to keys inside the drill chuck. The chuck dosnt tighten up like a standard drill.

If your milling 100#s at a time mounting a motor onto your mill is defiantly the way to go. I only mill enough for a 5 gallon batch at a time and i defiantly like being able to just fill the hopper, flip a switch and go do something else instead of holding onto a drill.

We are expecting our second child in a matter of 3-4 weeks so my brewing sessions are going to be far less frequent and much bigger in size so I see myself doing 2-3 ten gallons brews. Being able to flip a switch and do something else would be great.

Latest posts

Back