Question about Brettanomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopCore

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone coud help. I've always loved sour beers & I decided to try brewing one using Brettanomyces Bruxelles from Wyeast. Upon reading all these articles online & interviews with Vinnie from Russian River, what are the risks of having infected my whole system? Currently the beer is still in the carboy with an airlock and has been sitting in a closet since June. Should I be worried about the yeast being active in my apartment, being all over my other equipment, etc...It sounds silly but I just don't want to have to waste money on future batches if there's a chance it will come out ruined. I'm not really sure what to do.

Brettanomyces alone won't sour a beer. But regardless, I like to use separate equipment for anything not fermented with ale or lager yeast, just in case. In your case, I would replace all soft plastics and nuke the rest of your equipment with a thorough cleaning and sanitizing procedure.

i have done a number of brett brews. i use all separate plastic equipment when brewing with brett just to be safe, such as siphons, funnels, and airlocks.

There is already an untold number of bacteria, yeast, mold, etc. in your home waiting to infect your beer. A brewing strain is not going to destroy your apartment. Lazy sanitation will.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
There is already an untold number of bacteria, yeast, mold, etc. in your home waiting to infect your beer. A brewing strain is not going to destroy your apartment. Lazy sanitation will.

Second that! :D

I have been doing all Brett/ sour funky beers the past months and am drinking a citra rye ipa with us-o5 right now that's been bottled for about 3 weeks. Used the same primary and secondary and there is no sign of Brett lacto ect. Just clean all equipment well after use and don't allow **** to dry onto it. I also have a 10 gallon bucket with starsan in it that I soak siphon and tubes in the night before just to be safe. Then again... Once something is bottled in my house it doesn't last long enough to tell :$

i dont think its as much of the brett that you should be worried about but more with lactobacillus and pediococcus that could reside in the brett.. i use seperate equipment as well unless its stainless or glass :mug:

Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like just doing a super sanitizing on my equipment and possibly using a different carboy for non sours is the way to go. Just learning as I go. Thanks again

Back